Guys who don't like to be driven around in cars.

secretness87

Hey guys,

I recently started to date my ex again (another story which I'm not gonna get into and my question has nothing to do with this), and this is really just a random question that I have for the guys (but girls are welcome to respond as well). Well, I've known this from the past with him but now I'm just a bit intrigued by it and want to know why my ex acts this way. When we're going out or whatever, he ALWAYS drives. When I come visit him at his house, I'll drive to his house, park my car either on the curb or in his driveway, and he'll drive us out to a movie, restaurant or where ever. But when he drives to my house, he'll pick me up and he'll still be the one driving to places. Don't get me wrong, I love it when he does that but the other day I randomly asked him if I'd ever get to be the one to drive us places and he straight out said no

I asked him why, and he just said that he doesn't like like being driven around by people - not just girls, but by his (guy) friends as well. He actually said that he really hates it and I kept asking him and stuff, but he just didn't go into further detail about it. In the end he just said that it was personal preference. It was personal preference that he always chose to be the driver, and that he hates being a passenger in cars. I normally like being driven around more than being the driver, but I also don't mind driving as well.. and just because he told me that, makes me want to drive him at least a few times just to see how it is But in general, he is a more dominant person than I am, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Anyway, are any of you guys really this stubborn when it comes to driving? And if so... is there a reason for it? I'm really just curious. I don't wanna pester my ex about it anymore and I've gotten all I could out of him, so now I wanna hear what you guys and girls have to say about it. Thanks for reading!

Dominance and control. Need I say more? And by the way, why do you need to get his permission to 'let' you drive? does he ask you to 'let' him drive?

No but I'm already over that. It's pretty much expected now that he's gonna drive everywhere and I'm okay with it lol. I've never driven him anywhere before. One day he's gonna teach me how to drive his car (he drives stick).

That migh tbe the only time you get to drive...

I tell you the most offensive time remember with my EX was when we were going somewhere and I was driving and she started very venhemently telling me NOT to go one way and to go "her" way instead. I buckled half way, and I shouldn't have...

As oftern as she said she's sumbissive, she was really very very dominant - extremely dominant. So much so, she's passive-aggressive!

Hey....hahahahah you fell for it and got back with him hehehe...

I remember a few weeks ago when you were trippin out wondering what his intentions were.

Oh well...best of luck this time, and no I don't care if the girl drives or I drive. Doesn't matter a bit and never did to me.

Sounds like a control thing. Not saying you're not a good driver, but just asking, are you? I had a gf once who was really bad at it. I refused to ever ride with her because I wanted to live! Or at least not live in fear for my life. I told her the reason why though and she didn't disagree. Maybe he feels this way and doesn't want to tell you, but from what you said his explanation was it sounds to me like more of a control thing.

My boyfriend prefers to drive places. I prefer to drive places.

So, we typically split the driving. We don't keep track but I assume it's about even.

"I'll drive this time"

I don't think it's a control issue. Some people just really like driving. Now, if he believes "I'm the man, I should drive", I'd make sure that you drove more just so that he realizes A) You're not going to conform to stereotypes and B ) Him not driving will not affect his masculinity.

Personally..... I prefer to drive.... thats just me.... I will always be the one that offers to do it... I dont think I would flat out say "no" if someone asked if they could drive me somewhere.. but my inclination is towards me driving... I feel more comfortable in my own car, and I kinda like driving haha

i prefer to drive just cuz i like too; but, lately since i started dating again some of the ladies like to drive too. so i'm all for it. i've been surprised at the things i've missed seeing while going down the same roads.

i was going on a "road trip" with a lady a couple of weeks ago, going down the interstate she really scared me. i learned if i just close my eyes for a bit i'm ok........ at least so far.

i did give her two rules: 1) i don't want to go to jail. 2) don't kill me

so far all is good..

Hey....hahahahah you fell for it and got back with him hehehe...

I remember a few weeks ago when you were trippin out wondering what his intentions were.

Oh well...best of luck this time, and no I don't care if the girl drives or I drive. Doesn't matter a bit and never did to me.

Cool You read my other thread? Lol Yeah, this time around, he actually seems like a changed man, even my friends tell me he seems different by what I tell them, and I trust my friends. I'm giving it a second chance. And thanks!

Sounds like a control thing. Not saying you're not a good driver, but just asking, are you? I had a gf once who was really bad at it. I refused to ever ride with her because I wanted to live! Or at least not live in fear for my life. I told her the reason why though and she didn't disagree. Maybe he feels this way and doesn't want to tell you, but from what you said his explanation was it sounds to me like more of a control thing.

No, I wouldn't say I'm a bad driver. I'll speed here and there and weave through traffic once in a while but my ex does it ALL THE TIME (and has some road rage which I've seen lol) and he's more risky with it (he likes to race, pfft). I've been driving for 5 years, and he has for 10. I don't think he has a right to judge my driving though, if he's never been in a car with me when I drove, you know? But ya, thanks for your opinion! It sounds like a control thing to me too actually

My boyfriend prefers to drive places. I prefer to drive places.

So, we typically split the driving. We don't keep track but I assume it's about even.

"I'll drive this time"

I don't think it's a control issue. Some people just really like driving. Now, if he believes "I'm the man, I should drive", I'd make sure that you drove more just so that he realizes A) You're not going to conform to stereotypes and B ) Him not driving will not affect his masculinity.

Yeah I think my ex prefers to drive and also likes driving... and also refuses to let anyone else drive when he can. With me, he's probably used to driving and knows that I don't mind it at all when he drives. I actually think he probably has the mentality, "I'm the man, I should drive" because of how he treats me other ways too. He's really chivalrous does lots of things that a man "should" do. I've gotten used to how he treated me and feel like he's spoiled me a bit... which is bad, haha.

Personally..... I prefer to drive.... thats just me.... I will always be the one that offers to do it... I dont think I would flat out say "no" if someone asked if they could drive me somewhere.. but my inclination is towards me driving... I feel more comfortable in my own car, and I kinda like driving haha

Everytime I offer to drive, my ex just says "No it's okay, I'll drive" if I push any further, there would probably be an unnecessary argument lol.

I don't have a problem with being driven around, by a girl or otherwise. I would enjoy it, if it didn't make me physically uncomfortable.

whenever i am riding with anyone else, i find myself gripping the handles and holding on ... it's just different when i am in control and know how i will react - when someone else is in control i don't know and ... i guess that makes me nervous.

it's not anything to do with male/female though. and it's not to the extent that i demand to, or just always drive. however it works out it does.

Well are you a terrible driver? The reason I ask this is because I feel most in control of my situation when I'm driving, especially if my SO has been in alot of accidents.

It might be a control issue with him or he may simply hate the way everyone drives.

Personally, I never feel safer than when anyone but myself is behind the wheel. I live in Florida, and it had to be the most insane place for driving.

Sometimes I let my GF drive because I get hostile when I'm behind the wheel and need a break from it.

I'm going to go with it being a control issue with your EX, ummm SO.

Well are you a terrible driver? The reason I ask this is because I feel most in control of my situation when I'm driving, especially if my SO has been in alot of accidents.

It might be a control issue with him or he may simply hate the way everyone drives.

Personally, I never feel safer than when anyone but myself is behind the wheel. I live in Florida, and it had to be the most insane place for driving.

Sometimes I let my GF drive because I get hostile when I'm behind the wheel and need a break from it.

I'm going to go with it being a control issue with your EX, ummm SO.

I'll quote what I said before... No, I wouldn't say I'm a terrible driver. I'll speed here and there and weave through traffic once in a while but my ex does it ALL THE TIME (and has some road rage which I've seen lol) and he's more risky with it (he likes to race, pfft). I've been driving for 5 years, and he has for 10. I have not gotten a ticket or been in an accident (yet..and I hope I never!!) I don't think he has a right to judge my driving though, if he's never been in a car with me when I drove, you know?

In my family the men always drive. I don't know why, its just how that is. Its always been like that, my dad always drives when were all together, and when were all together minus my father I drive. Well now my mom only drive like 2 times a week and she drives like its the first time shes ever driven before, so we don't let her drive.

With my cousin and her husband, its the same thing, her husband always drives. She just goes straight to the passenger seat. Its always been like that.

When my ex and I were together, I always drove. But I was the only one who had a vehilce and lisence. In the end before we broke up she had gotten a car, and then she was driving around herself. But whenever we would go out, I would still go to pick her up and drive.

Only person I can't be passenger with is my father. Anyone else I'm fine.

I think what may happen with some people is they see it as the guy is supposed to drive the woman around not the other way around. Kinda like it being the gentlemen thing to do. It supposed to be for respect. IN the end everyone is different. Some like to be driven around, while other don't like it because they choose to depend on themselves.

Some people are just not comfortable being driven and would prefer to drive and know what is going on. I drive a vanpool to my work, and one of the passengers is very jumpy and hates seeing what's going on. She'll read or close her eyes or something all the time.

If I don't know where I'm going then I would prefer the other person to drive. If I just drove a long distance someplace to meet someone then I would prefer they drive to our ultimate destination. If i'm going to pick up a girl then I'll just drive the rest of the way. I don't really care about driving or being driven. I think it's just personal preferences.

I'll quote what I said before... No, I wouldn't say I'm a terrible driver. I'll speed here and there and weave through traffic once in a while but my ex does it ALL THE TIME (and has some road rage which I've seen lol) and he's more risky with it (he likes to race, pfft). I've been driving for 5 years, and he has for 10. I have not gotten a ticket or been in an accident (yet..and I hope I never!!) I don't think he has a right to judge my driving though, if he's never been in a car with me when I drove, you know?

So, he's more of an aggressive driver. Honestly, that makes sense to me. Aggressive drivers have a harder time just sitting back and letting someone else drive for them.

Archived