New info about laws about domestic situations

catuser7

I have had problems with my mum for ages. It is just insane! I won't talk about every teeny-weeny argument to every gigantic row, otherwise I'd be typing for about a year! Basically, my mum hates me and has it in for me 24-7. This year I have made a promise to myself. I promised not to antagonise her anymore (ie, argue with her as she always thinks she is right or disagree with her in anyway and so on) and I have stuck to that. However, although I have not provoked her in anyway all of this year, she has been worse than ever. She constantly accuses me of things I haven't done, thoughts I haven't thought, critises and patronises me and calls me names! She also mocks me when she doesn't like what I say. I try to turn the other cheek and I learnt the less I say, the less damage I cause. (Or so I thought!)

Anyway, I've had enough of it so I went on loads of websites to see if it happens to other people and what can be done about it.

The way she treats me is known as "domestic abuse" and the section it comes under is "emotional." I also learnt that this kind of treatment is against the law and that she can infact be taken to court over it.

I'm not one to whinge and whine normally but this has been going on for so long! I've had nightmares! I get the shakes! So I want this to stop once and for all and everything else I've tried has backfired! Do you think I should get the police or the courts involved?

Is she manipulating you in some way to force you to stay?

My mom will go through phases of having serious anger managment issues and then a calm period that can be up to a few months or a year. I think there is a mental component as her reasons for disliking me really make no sense (breast feeding too hard as a baby anybody?).. You should really think about removing yourself from the situation and maybe trying to help her get treatment for her anger from a distance. The second part is easier said than done though.

Get out of the house. You're 24 years old.

Not to be blunt, but if there is a constant tension between you and your mother (in spite of attempts to fix it), you need to remove yourself from the situation. You are old enough.

I suspect that some time and distance may help your relationship with her as well.

Is she manipulating you in some way to force you to stay?

My mom will go through phases of having serious anger managment issues and then a calm period that can be up to a few months or a year. I think there is a mental component as her reasons for disliking me really make no sense (breast feeding too hard as a baby anybody?).. You should really think about removing yourself from the situation and maybe trying to help her get treatment for her anger from a distance. The second part is easier said than done though.

Trust me I would love to move away from her, I really would but I am unemployed and have been for the past 6 years, Job wise I have been applying for anything and everything with nothing coming out of it. Even if I could move out my mum wouldn't let me go, She would say something like "I'm your mother, I raised you and now you owe me" or some crap like that. When I was with my ex I did tell my mum that I wanted to live with him and so forth and she tried to sabotage our relationship, I know that in the end my ex turned out to be a right b*****d but even so thats why I won't tell her that I want to live with my boyfriend and marry him and so forth cause I know that she would try to sabotage this relationship too and I don't want that. Times and things are now getting extremely hard, I don't know how long I can go on for. I really badly need help?

Well I am 21 and trapped in my house as well. I say trapped because I had a well thought out plan on how to continue to live on my own and go to school (and also be closer to my boyfriend) and was told if I did they would take away my medical insurance they pay nothing for, not help me apply for FAFSA and disown me and so on.

I also don't tell them I even have a boyfriend because then they would never let me leave this house.

But, it is temporary. I will find a way to get out of here. Maximum time frame I will be stuck here is a year. I'll save up my money so I can move out if they continue to threaten me.

You need to start looking for work that didn't occur to you before. Trust me, there has to be something. Did you try all waitressing jobs? Wal-Mart? Gas stations? Fast food services? A cleaning service? You could try to get a job as a live in nanny.

Archived