Frustrated and Depressed

Ocean 22

I'm almost 29 and still single. I just recently broke up with my bf because of his violence towards me and have gone back to dating and I can't seem to find anyone, EVEN to just go out on a date with. I have tried everything, friends who have friends, online dating with 2 different websites and speed dating. All I am finding are guys that don't know what they want or are looking at just being friends. It's frustrating because I am on these websites for DATING and I thought that's what it was supposed to be used for! I am starting to feel like there is little hope in finding a good guy for me. I'm pretty good looking, have a good job, good personality (of course I have my problems too and am not perfect) good family and don't have any major additions or problems. What's going on? Is this what I will have to endure for many years to come cause I don't know how much more of this I can take?!

How long have you been single? Sometimes these things take time, but it sounds like you're on the right track.

Are you on paid dating sites? I ask only because people say that the free ones tend to attract people who are more interested in chatting/being friends then dating.

It takes time to meet someone and the willingness to be out there doing activities - sports, theater, volunteer work, swing dancing, church, whatever - that will expose you to meeting people - men and women - preferably mostly single men and women - so that you can network and potentially meet people to date. Meeting people through on line is a great resource but only one of several.

You're in shell-shock. Leaving behind an abusive relationship can take a while. In the meantime, people can feel it whether you tell them or not. I wouldn't want to date you, and I don't mean cuz you aren't a catch...it's because you need to first recover from a trauma. There was a reason why you had to first imply breaking up with someone recently.

My experience with someone abusive; I didn't take the time to go what in the world made me choose him, and jumped right into relationship after relationship. The whole what doesn't kill you makes you stronger line. It really should be why do I feel lonely, am I going on dates to fill a void, why do I choose the men I do.

Sure dating is fun, takes your mind off, sort of...but until you can be comfortable around you, yourself, other people will be uncomfortable.

Well, are you coming off as desperate? From my experience with dating websites, it does take a while...I would definitely get someone to review your profile. There are certain clues people look into and also some unclear messages people choose to add in, which may come accross as something you totally don't mean to convey. How does your photo look? I would suggest including ones of you smiling, ones from the waist up. Also, does your profile show you want fun and good times, or just a date...big difference.

I can feel where you are coming from on this. I have tried the same things and I am still single as well. Only differences are I'm 32,a guy, and out of a nonabusive relationship. I swear the women my age aren't looking for relationships anymore(long old thread about this). I've tried paid and free dating sites. Speed dating doesn't do anything in my opinion. Since my breakup in April, I've had one date and there was no connection.

Lost the Love Of Your Love? Watch T...
Lost the Love Of Your Love? Watch This!

Archived