De-stressing stuff.....?

Okay, i think i was born a worrier, my mum said if have nothing to worry about then il worry about that.......

What im looking for is anyone to post their forms of de-stressing, could be anything at all....im very interested in any forms of meditation or just anything really that people use to de stress themselves....my favourite is a long hot bath with soothing music but i cannot have a bath like 10 times a day!haha.

There are a few reasons im asking this, apart from being quite the worrier (im alot better than i used to be) i have psoriasis which is very much a stress related illness, im on meds at the moment but have to come off them soon for at least 3 months to give my body a break- the psoriasis is highly likely to return but the less stressed i am the more mild it will be.

Ive also just gotten out of a really painful relationship, im 3/4 of the way healed but i need some pointers to calm me down when i do get really stressed about it......

I thought and hope this thread may also help others so post away guys, doesnt matter what your techniques are is like to hear them xxxx

when i am stressing out a lot, i usually stop what i am doing and find a quiet place to sit and relax, and then meditate. just sit comfortably, close your eyes, and take deep breaths. your body will hopefully start to straighten itself out a little as you begin to relax. Or go to the gym or a park and go for a little run. Exercising even for a short period of time can help take things off your mind and let your body relax a lot.

For me, distraction in a comfortable environment. I worry about numerous work problems and sometimes other life problems, but if it threatens to become overwhelming, I simply sit down at home, turn the computer on, the television on, put a good DVD on, have a nice glass of decent wine, and tell myself that no matter what the problem is, it will still be here tomorrow morning, so in the meantime I might as well enjoy myself. I find it's always possible to convince yourself that all problems can be solved tomorrow if you try hard enough.

oh goodness, I'd do it everyday if I could. But right now I'm every 2nd or 3rd day. ideally everyday.

one can also do a mini-meditation of like 5 minutes or something. There is also something called "mindfulness" which is a sort of operating meditation.

yes I did go to classes to do this. I'm the kind of person who needs classes.

That sounds good- the mini meditations- i could do with something that when very start to bet stressed i can nip it in the bud before i get to a sort of red zone if that makes any sense cos once im up there its hard to come back down...

Okay, i think i was born a worrier, my mum said if have nothing to worry about then il worry about that.......

i am exactly the same and have struggled with relaxation.

last year I had a really hard year at uni and took up yoga classes once a week. I found it really peaceful and there was a 15 minute meditation at the end. They taught you techniques so you could do it at home - although I find it hard to get it quiet enough to do it!

I'm like you a nice warm bath but am trying to cut them down.

I also find "escaping" is the easiest - going to the cinema to see a comedy, reading a book etc is really good. for a while i feel removed from reality.

depending on the worry, sometimes a bottle of wine with a friend and a good old chat about it can do wonders.

just now my favourite is working out though. im unemployed so have far too much time to worry about everything. when i feel it coming on i get up and do an intense cardio workout for an hour and afterwards i ALWAYS feel better.

but yeah now instead of dwelling i always try and make myself do something - cooking or baking is a good one. when following a recipe you cant think about anything else!

Thanks everyone for your replies!

Bobsie, we sound very alike! ha

I might look into whether there are any yoga classes in my area.

Shuttle and Bobsie, the mindfulness thing, when i look at it i do quite alot of that, i have a few hobbie especially cooking, i can actually get lost in cooking and its something i NEVER get tired of doing, i can lose myself in it and find it very theraputic, i live with my family and im the cook of the house- i cook a meal almost every night.

I love films and very often il put on a funny film if im feeling down to try and pull myself out of it, i really like fanstasy films too, somthing that can really transport you to another world for a while, i absolutley love Starwars for that, the old and the new infact i have them all on one dvd! ha.

Alcohol though, doesnt help me infact ive laid off it alot more lately, makes me far too emotional.

A nice quote about Mindfulness comes from Thich Nhat Hanh

Drink your tea slowly and reverently,

as if it is the axis

on which the world earth revolves

- slowly, evenly, without

rushing toward the future;

Live the actual moment.

Only this moment is life.

I like that, very insightful and so true

Stress Relief Tea, Amazing 4 Kind O...
Stress Relief Tea, Amazing 4 Kind Of This Drink

Archived