My brother and his father in law

taxi10
Good Morning Brother Quotes
Good Morning Brother Quotes

My brother has a big problem with his father in law ( lets call him Joe) who drops into their home uninvited whenever he wants.

My brother lost his job few months ago and he has been struggling to get one since but his wife works. Unfortunately, Joe makes fun of my brother unemployment to the extent that this led into argument.

One day, we were all at restraurant and Joe said that brother is a loser who can't get a job. To my surprise, my brother doesn't react to it at all. Later that day my brother confided in me that his wife tells everything to her father - from their sex life to anything. I was SHOCKED to hear that.

Joe invites his daughter for a dinner and the wife goes to her father's house without discussing it first with my brother - My brother did all he could to change the situation but things are still the same. They have 6 year old son and they live not far from JOE. I don't want to get involved in this but my brother is mentally and phscologcally suffering. How do you think I should approach this situation?

. How do you think I should approach this situation?

Short answer- you don't. It isn't your situation. It's your brother's.

All you can do is to be there for him, listen to him and support him

You can't fix this. If he wants to fix it, he'll have to do it himself.

If FIL will call him a loser b/c he can't find a job, what will he say to that "loser" needing his brother to sort out his marriage and family relationships for him?

Short answer- you don't. It isn't your situation. It's your brother's.

All you can do is to be there for him, listen to him and support him

You can't fix this. If he wants to fix it, he'll have to do it himself.

If FIL will call him a loser b/c he can't find a job, what will he say to that "loser" needing his brother to sort out his marriage and family relationships for him?

I agree I know you are trying to be nice because he is your brother but in situations like this its best not to get involved.

Has he asked for you help at all? Yes you can be there for him but don't get involved most of the time its ends up horrible for the person who was just trying to help...been there believe me.

One day, we were all at restraurant and Joe said that brother is a loser who can't get a job. To my surprise, my brother doesn't react to it at all.

Next time you see the father in law, you should ask him how he had such a beautiful daughter when he is so ugly.

who talks about their sex life with their dad? gross.

his wife should be the one to stick up for him. she shouldn't allow this.

Apparently, my brother's wife doesn't say anything to defend him. Her father talks badly about her husband and she doesn't say a word. Well, It is my brother who came to me for a support. He tells me that Joe dictates for them what to do?

I think he should put his foot down and tell his wife he doesn't appreciate her allowing her father to talk badly about him and not saying anything. He is her husband, and HE should be the # 1 man in her life now.

Exactly. He needs to grow a pair. His house, his (their ) rules.

I think he should put his foot down and tell his wife he doesn't appreciate her allowing her father to talk badly about him and not saying anything. He is her husband, and HE should be the # 1 man in her life now.

According to my brother's latest complaint his wife told him that her father is # 1 in her life. He wants to file a divorce now but don't know how can I possibly help him out?

According to my brother's latest complaint his wife told him that her father is # 1 in her life. He wants to file a divorce now but don't know how can I possibly help him out?

Just be there for him in any way you can. Listen, offer support, advice, a place to stay if he needs it, money if you have it, etc.

Archived