Do i get him an anniversary gift?

onelifetolive

How many months/years after being in a relationship with someone do you 2 exchange a "gift." My boyfriend and i are both in college, different colleges. in a few days we will have been going out for 1 month. we havent really discussed anything like anniversaries or anything except for the fact of knwoing the date=) but when do you start having to give that person a gift? how do anniversaries work?

thank you!

I think its best to establish that with him.

And its different for each couple.

We only celebrate the yearly anniversaries, and for us, there's no gifts involved, just money spent on doing something together [i cheated and made him a scrapbook of the years photos and did that for years, he got really excited each year to see the next one..]

Some people do the monthly thing.

But you need to ask yourself, will you acknowledge every month?

Will you have to top this present, next month?

Where will you draw the line?

Me personally, I don't think a gift is necessary for a month of dating.

Acknowledging the date, maybe sending a cute e-card would be the extent.

It helps to discuss it so you don't put your partner in an awkward position, such as you celebrating and sending a gift every month and him feeling obligated to do the same, or him not sending you anything.

If anything, I'd wait for 6 or 12 months.

But I think its best to discuss that with him.

Maybe when one month rolls around, tell him its been a month and then bring up anniversaries and figure out how the two of you will go about celebrating anniversaries.

Anything besides year anniversaries are just ridiculous in my opinion. I get really annoyed when girls try to do one month anniversaries. XD

Also, I do not think gifts are necessary, but you could do something a bit more special than a typical night out.

Yearly anniversaries are the only ones that are expected to be celebrated. If you are just starting a relationship, celebrating the first 6 months is appropriate but it is not required.

I wouldn't worry about having more anniversaries unless the guy really insists on it. I would personally find it a little weird if a girl wanted to celebrate one month with me.

where do you live? I notice that that seems to be an important cultural issue when it comes to celebrating the one month thing or not.

Also... I'm going to be a bit sexist here, but just like waiting for the guy to change his relationship status on facebook first and waiting for him to say i love you first.. i'd wait to see what he does. You might freak him out...

If I were super organised.. I'd have a "back up" gift always handy.. hehehe - so if my partner decides to do a gift on an anniversary I didn't acknowledge - I could save myself the embarassment of "forgetting" and pull it out!!

Totally non-personal, I know...

Do what you feel like doing.. because you should be free to do that. I used to give heaps of gifts.. and then I realised I was doing it more for my own benefit than his (I liked giving.. and he was appreciative but I don't think gifts mean all that much to him.. ) .. so now I only do it on the really obvious occasions (birthdays, anniversaries etc).

Honestly, I think the monthly anniversary celebration is only okay when you're in a high school relationship. Once you hit college, or are out of college...it's okay to acknowledge how long you've been together and MAYBE go out to dinner for the 6 month... but no gifts. I'd say a year is good.

To be completely honest, I have no idea how long my boyfriend and I have been together. We just don't keep track. We have a general idea, but we're past the whole "omg, it's been xx months! Let's do gifts and celebrate!"

I say, if you want to get him a little something, save it for a totally random occasion. It'd be more of a surprise and special that way.

Archived