This girl...I like her, but how do I show that?

Silas Bencomo

As cliche as this sounds: I have fallen head over heels for a certain girl (we'll call her Jenny), and yet I'm too shy to tell her how I feel. We've known each other for years, but recently we just started hanging out together more and more often. She asked me out to the movies this evening (much joy to hear that), and when I walked in, she was wearing an exquisite dress that only made me fall for her more. I melted when she asked me if she was overdressed, and all I could tell her was how beautiful she looked.

During the movie (post-grad), our elbows and arms met a few times. And there were moments when we would rest our heads together for no more than 5 seconds. We'd often say "I love you" to each other, but it was more on the playful side, rather than serious/intimate. Whenever she would say something random about the movie, we'd look each other in the eyes and our faces were so close together that it became more and more difficult to resist the urge to kiss her on the lips right then and there.

I just got back, and I haven't been able to stop thinking about her this entire evening. Another obstacle that's been bothering me is her sexual orientation, she always seems to hang out with her best friend (also female), and often they would hold hands when they go places. And often, she would also discuss topics that made me think she was either bi-sexual or lesbian. She has dated guys before, but the way she is, it's hard to tell whether she's straight, bi, or lesbian.

I need to know what my first step should be. I want to be able to give her hints that show I like her, probably more. I'm a shy guy on a regular basis, and she's the type of girl that enjoys partying and drinking. So yes, I understand this may be a challenge.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Whenever she would say something random about the movie, we'd look each other in the eyes and our faces were so close together that it became more and more difficult to resist the urge to kiss her on the lips right then and there.

You should have kissed her omg you idiot! *smack!!!*

She might be thinking now "well he doesn't like me, he never made a move".

Sigh, you better make a move! You can't just wait forever, and take cautious steps all the time. You will get friend zoned if you wait to long! Bah, I'm so mad at you right now Mr. Silas!

Sigh, you better make a move! You can't just wait forever, and take cautious steps all the time. You will get friend zoned if you wait to long! Bah, I'm so mad at you right now Mr. Silas!

I have to agree. If you and her had opportunities where you were nearly about to kiss or something, try and force yourself to just go ahead and kiss her. You don't have to leap in there with your tongue flailing, just a quick peck will send the message and get her heart racing. And if she doesn't dig you, (and seriously, from the sounds of it, with her dressing up all fancy for a day out with just the 2 of you, I can't see how she wouldn't) it's a lot less awkward to dismiss a random kiss than to dismiss professing your love for her or something. (Something I wish I'd known sooner...)

And yeah, the sooner the better. If she thinks you're not interested she'll likely lose interest in you. You've just gotta be unexpected - randomly kiss her or stroke her hair or tell her she's gorgeous out of the blue. You can do it!

I would agree with Mr symblic, however I am not mad at you. If she has given you signs of an invitation to kiss her than do it. A lot of the the times we girls do this but we do not make the first move, she may have wanted that kiss as much as you.

Regarding her sexual orientation I don't think you have any reason to worry unless she has specifically said that she is a lesbian or into girls. I have know plenty of girls/women who hold hands and tell each other that they love each other and they are totally straight. Different people show their affections in friendships in many different ways.

Do you guys have another date planned anytime soon?

I would agree with Mr symblic, however I am not mad at you. If she has given you signs of an invitation to kiss her than do it. A lot of the the times we girls do this but we do not make the first move, she may have wanted that kiss as much as you.

Regarding her sexual orientation I don't think you have any reason to worry unless she has specifically said that she is a lesbian or into girls. I have know plenty of girls/women who hold hands and tell each other that they love each other and they are totally straight. Different people show their affections in friendships in many different ways.

Do you guys have another date planned anytime soon?

We haven't schedule a date yet, but I do plan on calling her later on tonight (which is something I'm not nervous to do), and hopefully schedule another movie....maybe a dinner afterwards or a walk in the park.

I know I have missed golden opportunities to kiss her, and I'm kicking myself for that. I've NEVER kissed before, and I can't ask when's the perfect time to kiss her. I just need to know how else I can show her I like her....in spite of us having different personalities.

DEFINITELY should have kissed her! She could be bisexual because it sounds like there was chemistry between you two.

Invite her out for dinner or drinks sometime soon and if the chemistry is similar or more intense than last time, then go for it.

(Her "over dressing" is a v. good sign that she wanted to look her best for you.)

DEFINITELY should have kissed her! She could be bisexual because it sounds like there was chemistry between you two.

Invite her out for dinner or drinks sometime soon and if the chemistry is similar or more intense than last time, then go for it.

(Her "over dressing" is a v. good sign that she wanted to look her best for you.)

I called her and told her if she had wanted to go watch another movie sometime soon, and probably dinner afterwards, and she said yes!

Now my heart is racing, and I can't seem to recollect myself. I'm trying so hard to make sure things go perfect...but I can't seem to stay calm...arggh, curse my inability to be relaxed...

Archived