I dont know why this bugs me......

glegend
20 Sad Friendship Quotes
20 Sad Friendship Quotes

Went to a club last night for a birthday party. Had a couple of drinks. One on the patio and two inside the club. I left a tip with the bar tender inside the club. Went outside with the friend that I went down with, to get some fresh air. Decided to get something to drink. My buddy doesnt drink and I just wanted something cold. I asked for a water and he got a coke.

Bar tender snaps on us why didnt tip her. Thats it been our second drinks out there and that since we are from the city we should know to tip. Questioned us why we did, especially me. I told her excuse me, she repeated herself, I told her I actually left a $3 tip with the bar tender inside the club. She snaps on me for a tip, how waitresses and waiters work mostly on tip, but I happen to know that every place know has to pool their tips and then its split. Then it gets recorded for tax purposes. I ended up leaving a $5 tip because the owner was there and he was staring at us.

I don't know why this bugs me. Kinda want to vent. But really this was so immature on her behalf. I'm not willing to say am wrong on this for not leaving a her a tip. She only served me one beer at $7, in which I got because everyone was drinking something at the time. I wasn't even feeling good to drink at the time, I ate dinner in a rush and then rushed down not to be late so my stomache was hurting me a little bit. We went inside, had one drink then another shortly later. I figured I've had 3 drinks at the club, at the time, so now its time to leave a tip. I gave the bar tender a tip. Plus the bar tender inside the club had a better attitude towards us. I do believe that I was over charged for the water and the coke. Because she charged $2 for the coke at first, and I dont believe a 500ml bottle of water costs $5 at a club. I think what happened was she over charged us because we didn't tip. Now if she does this to everyone who doesnt leave a tip she can make and arm and a legs amount of money in one night, let alone a weekend.

I really think this is really childish. Really. I know its like I am making a big deal about this, and really its not that big of a deal, its just principal. As many of you know, I currently have a retail job in which I work way above the levels of expectations there. I deal with a lot of different people, and I work the Seasonal Department. I do carry outs all the time, and not for little items I take out BBQ's, Patio Sets, Snowblowers, Ice Salt, Soils, Trees, Christmas trees, Outdoor Fireplaces, Lawnmowers, etc... and I don't get many tips. I don't really expect tips. I don't tell the person well I need a tip for that, so I can take it to your car. Sometimes we do get pissed off when customers buy in bulk of one item (ie, the guys with the snowplows who buy a skid of 40kg salt and you have to load them in their truck), and they dont tip. BUt thats to their discretion.

Just to add I used a tip calculator that I found online, and it says for a $7 purchase a tip of $1.05 is required. And for a 3.50 purchase $0.53 is the tip. So I tipped generously.

Maybe she was just having a bad day. I have to say, I've never been snapped at for not tipping before (I generally tip, but on the rare occasion that I have not done so, I never got any sort of attitude). I think it's a bit obnoxious for a bartender to snap at someone for not tipping (while people definitely should do it, I think it's inappropriate to be rude if they don't). But like I said, maybe she was having a bad day.

She could have been. Her attitude when I got my inital drink, didn't show signs of her not having a good day.

I believe she could be partially at fault, if people arn't leaving tips, since there was no tip jar. Personally, I could see someone thinking that she could be steeling money if some money is going to the register and some in her pocket.

T.I.P.S. stands for To Insure Proper Service and that's their purpose, not to insure you are not harassed! She was a jerk. She's probably scaring away a lot of return business with that attitude. I know I always make a point of not returning to places that are rude, snobbish, unfriendly or anything of that ilk. Oh well, their loss.

Tip jar? I've never seen a tip jar at a bar or club. People just leave the tips on the counter. Is it different in Canada (I'm in the US)?

Every places that I've been to that has a bar. Being a bar or a club I've always see a tip jar of some sort. Usually I've seen them put one of those fancy glasses on the bar and people just put their tips there.

T.I.P.S. stands for To Insure Proper Service and that's their purpose, not to insure you are not harassed! She was a jerk. She's probably scaring away a lot of return business with that attitude. I know I always make a point of not returning to places that are rude, snobbish, unfriendly or anything of that ilk. Oh well, their loss.

I will refuse to go back to a place where there is crappy service. You're right its their loss. Your probably right, she probably did scare off a lot of people. Heck I didn't go back. Not that I was scared to. Actually we left shortly after, but if we were going to have some more drinks I was going to buy from inside teh club.

Archived