HPV, warts - I am freaking out!

Mandorla

Hi!

I am 27 years old girl and I have been diagnosed with HPV yesterday, I have a tiny genital wart and I am freaking out!

I haven't slept around till now. I had only 1 long term boyfriend of 3 years and a guy whom I have been dating for 2 months. We had sex 1 month ago of course with condom (by the way safe sex doesn't really exist)..

Now he is coming to visit me and I have to tell him about my genital wart. I feel somehow dirty, even if it is only a tiny little wart and I have informed myself about HPV.. 50% of men and 80% of women have it once in their life and 92 percent in the cases the "heal" from themselves (there are many debates on this).

I am so sad, so nervous the whole day, I can't concentrate, eat, sleep.. I feel like my life is over and I will lose this great guy, although he might have been the one who contracted me..

I am freaking out, please help me!

Number one, relax. You have an STD. So do the rest of us. Most of us, infact, who have sex also have STDs. Not STD, STDs.

Some of these things are not transmitted just by sex. Sex does transmit them, but they can be transmitted in other manners as well. Contact with the virus is what it takes.

HPV transmits from skin to skin contact, which means, the places where the condom doesn't cover...can transmit it.

Me and My girl had the talk a long time ago about this. I then went down to the clinic and had myself tested and then her tested once they found NGU on me. I might have hadit before, I might have not, but it was there. I was the virgin in the relationship.

I've also had Herpes Simplex I since childhood. I'm thankful for HS-I, though, because I do believe it is the reason I don't get colds. Instead, I will get a cold sore on my lip, usually once every 6-8 months, right around cold/flu season. Cold sores are caused by an expression of the Herpes virus [all cold sores are caused by Herpes] due to the immune system being weakened. 8 blue pills and the cold sore passes in three days and I am practically invulnerable to the common cold. This fall I took the 8 blue pills in a pre-emptive manner, as I have basic training in two weeks and I can't afford to have a blister even one hour of a day in that time frame. And i did not pass it on to my EX, becasue any time I was expressing the virus [cold sore], I was venehemently opposed to any activity that could put her at risk, even if it meant we didn't kiss for a week!

There is some good news for you: the strains of HPV that cause warts are typically not those that also cause cancer in women. In men it's a little less known. And he may be a carrier and not even express any symptoms himself, so he might not even know if he has if, if he does have it.

I do hope he's a mature person about the situation. You've only had two sex partners, so that is a positive reflection of you! he might already know, he might not. You might approach him with getting tested himslef. i wish you the best!

Anything that 80% of the population experiences is a common issue, and NOT some moral sign of depravity. Try to separate out your emotions from the medical issue.

Everyone has some kind of warts, and they can happen anywhere in your body. You wouldn't freak out like this if you got a wart on your hand would you? Remember to try to stay calm and stay medically informed rather than branding yourself with a scarlet W for warts. They are common, and treatable.

There is a good chance that this guy is the one who gave you that wart, so why are you worried about what he thinks? Your life is not over from a wart on the hand nor anywhere else. You get it treated, and move on with your life. 80% of the female population's life wasn't over either, so you need to put this in perspective and calm down.

Thanks a lot for your comments. I have done a lot of research on the topic, I know so many facts and that helps me a lot. Then I started reading some stupid forums where people comment that they would not date anyone who has a wart and I just got so desperate.. Your are right, I would not freak out about a wart on my hand, although that's usually painful and my genital wart didn't have any symptoms..

It is so difficult right now not to bee too emotional about this..

I think it is better to discuss the topic with him when he is here, than on line, right?

Yes... this is a topic to do in person so you don't misunderstand each other...

If he breaks up with you over this, then good luck to him finding the 20% that hasn't been infected, in fact, even KNOWING if someone has been infected. Warts are as common as the cold virus, which makes them very easy to trasmit.

I'd just try to stick to the medical facts, and tell him to get checked to see if he has any so you don't pass them back and forth.

Thanks a lot for your comments. I have done a lot of research on the topic, I know so many facts and that helps me a lot. Then I started reading some stupid forums where people comment that they would not date anyone who has a wart and I just got so desperate.. Your are right, I would not freak out about a wart on my hand, although that's usually painful and my genital wart didn't have any symptoms..

It is so difficult right now not to bee too emotional about this..

I think it is better to discuss the topic with him when he is here, than on line, right?

The joke of course, is that many of these very people are carrying the virus right now...and most don't even know it!! And some of them Do!

I mean no disrespect, but I couldn't sleep with anyone who has any kind of STD. I have broken up with people over this. You are NOT dirty or sleazy or anything else. BUT, you do have something that is highly contagious. I do not have any STDs, not one. When AIDS and Herpes became prevalent, I stopped having intercourse and kept my sex life to strictly oral sex unless I was in a committed relationship for longer than a year. I also am tested and have my partner tested, before I have even oral sex with them. I have heard that the HPV virus often goes away on its own, so I hope that is the case with you. I get tested at least twice a year, so far, except for a randome yeast infection, I am clean. These days, you can't be too careful. Intercourse should be left for very serious, very committed, relationships only.

How is your immune system? With genital warts, for reasons we don't entirely understand most peoples immune systems manage to take over the virus and it goes into dormancy.

Focus on supporting your immune system, back off from sex, and I'd be willing to bet money that the wart will disappear. Don't have sexual contact until it does, and go see the doctor about it if you can. Above all else - support your immune system and let it do its job.

I am planning to print this out for my boyfriend, so he can get all the information I have: link removed and link removed. Do you think it is a good idea? I am sure he will have questions and I already know all the statistics, numbers, cases etc., but still sometimes it is better to read about it.

On most pages I found that the first symptoms generally show 1 to 3 months after infection. I was with him a one month ago and with my ex 1.5 year ago..

The majority of adults will contract HPV at sometime in their lives, alot of people dont show visible warts and the virus passes through their system and they never know about it. Condoms dont always help as its transmitted through skin to skin contact, its one of the most common stds, doesnt men your promiscuous or dirty its just part and parcel of being a sexually active person in this day and age.

Archived