low self-esteem

denryuu

Hi everyone,

So this girl I've been talking to has really low self-esteem, and I've been trying to get her confidence up more.

She has a lot of stress in her life, especially with her parents. Her parents are those really Asian, Christian conservative types, and are really hardcore. Those types that would rather have their kids go watch a movie by themselves rather than with a group of people... Super protective, etc.

Well, one thing she is always concerned about are her looks, so she wakes up early in the morning to put on some make up (very little but yeah), but I always tell her that she is beautiful just the way she is.

The question is, how do I get her to open up more and what can I do to help her self-esteem rise more? I guess questions lol

Thanks everyone

confidence and esteem are 2 different things you can have an abundance of confidence but no self esteem..perhaps you can both start an activity/sport/hobbie or the gym together. find some feel good things that will bring her out of her shell and do them with her...while ever she is confined to a home with different cultural beliefs/customs your efforts may be hard won..she is possibly not likely to ever really blossom until she is able to leave home and become her own person and be independent..make her own choices and live a life with less rules/restrictions....

yeah, i was in the same situation as her until i moved out and exercised my own freedom a little more. She is having a hard time dealing with it right now, and she always seems to be stressed by her parents exercising absolute control over her. Is there anything i can do to help?

vietnamese. i can connect with her cause my life was very similar, but i guess i just had a stronger sense of independence cause i was able to stand up to my parents and be steadfast. she isnt like that and just takes everything her parents say and do without putting up much for her own defense. i just dont know what to do because i can give her advice, which i do, but i try to limit it so that i dont give her any ideas of some rash form of action. A lot of asian parents just seem to enjoy living their child's life as if it was their new start and not their child's own life.

[QUOTE=loulee;3687862]confidence and esteem are 2 different things you can have an abundance of confidence but no self esteem..

how?

Confidence can be used as your exterior presentation to other people, For example you may be an excellent football player or professional at work you exude confidence you are in your element, you project this strong capable, skilful image..but peel yourself open and you may have very low self esteem due to controlling parents..a controlling abusive relationship of any type really, a trauma.an injury..lots of things the 2 things confidence and esteem very often do not go hand in hand as people presume. another example... How many times have you met someone very confident in any particular field but painfully shy within a relationship or social setting..?

Archived