just a good friend?

ne1mi

I really wish people just said they way they felt. Sure, the pain of rejection would occur, but it would be easier to stomach than the alternative which is life.

I have a very good friend whose behavior I cannot peg. I see her probably once a week, but I just see it as a platonic friendship. She will go off on things about a future together, but she is casually seeing someone (though she only brings him up when I do). She flirts a lot and when talking to my mates, she only talks about me. Sometimes I see her at a pub we frequent and she is very touchy and thrilled to see me. After our last encounter, she told me "she always love spending time with me" and gave me a non-platonic hug.

I frankly am uncertain how to react in this situation.

Thoughts?

i've been interested in her for a while, but i had already came to terms that i should ignore my feelings. i already shared these feelings with her a while ago, she said they were mutual, but i proceeded to alienate her out of fear.

Why did you decide to ignore your feelings? What fear did you have since she said she felt the same way?

Also, think about this. Is it fair for you to say that she's not being straightforward with her feelings when you've basically already rejected her even though you like her? First, she has no reason to come out and reiterate that she likes you since you've rejected her. Second, you aren't being straightforward with her either.

I ignored them, because she said that we needed to see what happened after spending more time together. I guess I was afraid of being happy or being with someone so great.

We rekindled our friendship, but I am not sure if it is anything more than that.

If you keep holding her at a distance, you won't know. It's always a risk when you have feelings for someone, but you have to go with that risk if you want anything to happen. Since you were the one who stopped anything from happening the first time, you need to make the move this time. Ask her out.

I guess I am just confused whether we are just good friends or something else?

Most of my friends who girls do not do that, but maybe she just likes the attention? (but I am careful not to pay too much attention to her, because she is not my girlfriend).

You won't know until you ask her. She may have lost interest since you've already rejected her, or she never lost interest and something could come of it. Don't let the guy hold you back because it doesn't seem like they are exclusive and therefore she's open to dating whoever she wants.

The only thing is that you can't do what you did before. Don't ask her out and then back off completely again. That would just be cruel. If you're going to make a move, make sure it's what you really want.

5 Signs of A Strong Friendship – ...
5 Signs of A Strong Friendship – Spotting A True Friend

Archived