I need financial help. Truly.

vertigoxo

Hello darlings. After my first not so good day at the college I was supposed to go for, I decided not to continue going. I don't want to do journalism since I'm not that passionate about it, and it would be such a waste of time and money in my book. So whatever, I left the school-"dropping out" sounds so criminal-like!-and now I'm here at home. I will be going job hunting in about 10 hours or so (it is 2:18 AM in here) and in the state I live at right now (I live in the US here), the minimum wage around here is $7.25 by the hour. I am willing to do full time and overtime if I have to. I'm bored enough as is...

Anyways, my main concern is that there is this one school I want to go to, but it is sooo expensive! The tuition is around $15,000 and I am just so baffled! My dad and I tried to get in and trying to see if we both like the school, but the price made my dad recoil and decided I shouldn't go, to my dismay. My dad is a computer engineer for almost 3 decades now, and makes a great amount of money. Because of that, he is illegible to get financial aid.

Do you think maybe, since I'm only 18 years old and will be working pretty soon, I should try and apply for financial aid myself? Do you think that will work? Or is it always the parents that have to do the job themselves?

Anyways, here is the school I want to go to (I wanna do the cosmetology course) and I'm hoping to get into their spring classes; link removed

Thank you.

For the US and ( I can only speak for ) California, you have to fill out a FAFSA form, return it online and discuss possibilities with your school of choice..... there is usually state and government aide available. You are considered a dependent, however, until you are either 25, or married.

For the US and ( I can only speak for ) California, you have to fill out a FAFSA form, return it online and discuss possibilities with your school of choice..... there is usually state and government aide available. You are considered a dependent, however, until you are either 25, or married.

Thank you for the reply, Maroney555. I'm wondering what you mean about the dependent part however. Are you saying that I'm still too young to make such decisions according to the law?

You have to claim your parents' income until you turn 24 on the FAFSA forms, so if they make good money you won't get a whole lot. You can fill it out yourself, yes, but you have to put your parents' combined income on the form. You will still get money, loans and perhaps some grants and scholarships, but it's hard to say how much.

But I would follow thistime's advice as well and call the college you are wanting to attend and find out ways to make your payments.

Good luck!

A dependant means you are depending on your parents and their money (rightly or wrongly!) and when you fill in these forms you have to claim there income.

In the UK you become independent when you are over 24, married or you can PROVE that you have supported yourself for 3 years prior to applying for aid.

Hope this helps

Firstly, dropping out of college after literally one day is something I think you should look long at hard at, to figure out exactly how that happened and what you could have done better. If you were not interested in journalism, cancelling the application earlier would have been better.

Secondly, while I never had any family financial support myself and I generally think it's a good idea, if your dad "makes a great amount of money" and this is actually stopping you getting financial aid, then you could ask him to put his hand in his pocket to at least give you the financial aid arrangement himself, so you're no advantaged or disadvantaged by him. I think that would be fair.

Thirdly, you should contact the admissions office expressing your intention to go in the Spring and asking about financial aid, as suggested on their website.

Finally, you should ask yourself if this is definitely what you want to do, and this is definitely the place you want to do it, because $15,000 tuition for cosmetology is rather expensive.

Yeah.. $15,000 for a cosmetology degree? Are they that high now? I got my aviation degree and it only (haha) cost $10,000..... course that was a 2 year school too..

Sounds like your dad just wants to save money, but if he is making a GREAT DEAL of money... (That may NOT be true) then it seems he could send his daughter off to school at the place she likes....

You say you wouldn;t like journalism.. may I ask Why? It seems like an interesting profession to me... but then I like intellectual things anyway.....

Cosmetology school, well, that WUD be a good trade to have.. Even in this horrible recession... people are STILL getting their hair done and their nails taken care of weekly...

Work till you're 24. Then you'll be an independent and you can apply for financial aid on your own.

If your dad doesn't want to pay, then so be it. Our parents raise us till we're 18 and we're essentially money pits that entire time. They don't owe us anything.

I never considered my son a money pit. When he was underage, it was my responsibility to spend money on him to raise him. Now that he's in college, he gets financial aid even though he still lives with me. He just turned 21 and he gets a pretty good check.

The 24 year old thing...true to an extent. It's true for FAFSA. But I still found that I was being considered by my grad school (after turning 24) as being dependent on my parents. I'm not 100% sure how that worked but even though I was "independent" on FAFSA grounds, I was not treated as independent for financial aid when it came down to it. I was still given no grants and given a bunch of loans and that was based on my parents' income. So waiting till you turn 24 might not solve the problem unless you can show that you have been independent for a certain amount of time (in my case, for my school (and others) it was 7 years, and I couldn't show that because I hadn't been). You may just have to take on loans. I think it will be well worth it in the long run, though.

You can either get loans through the govt. by yourself or through your parents. You should probably weigh out your options by the type of interest rates you can get. Your parents can actually get some tax credits for any tuition expenses. When I went to school my parents helped me out as much as they could and I took out the rest on loans under my name. That was about 10 years ago and I was able to get a decent interest rate, plus the interest you pay is tax detuctable as well.

Archived