I hate being so shy around girls I like...

shy2cool

I had the perfect opportunity to have a chat to this girl that I fancy, but I just didn't know what to say. I guess I was worried about saying something stupid. This is totally pathetic as I am 25.

Does anybody have any tips for overcoming shyness in situations like these?

There really arnt many "tricks" besides tricking yourself.

Think of the great conversation and super funny comments you could make to your ex gf's friends, or that older lady in line at the grocerie store.

This is because you have no interest in them and therefore anything you say doesnt matter, this should be the same case for women you do like. What makes them different? Its nothing they do, its all in your mind, and you have control over that realm.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do.” Mark Twain.

And that truly is the greatest tragedy.

Just out of curiosity was this someone regular or cold approach, never see again type of thing?

This is someone whom I've known for a year. However, I've never had any regular contact with her.

I do think that she's possibly a bit shy though. ie. If won't initiate much conversation if you don't and vice versa.

I had the perfect opportunity to have a chat to this girl that I fancy, but I just didn't know what to say. I guess I was worried about saying something stupid. This is totally pathetic as I am 25.

Does anybody have any tips for overcoming shyness in situations like these?

It's not pathetic. Everyone gets nervous. I know I do when I'm around someone I'm attracted to. We play things up in our mind so much, and this just builds up more nerves when the time comes. Just try to think of the outcome you want. See, in your mind, everything going smoothly. I know it's hard to do, but it helps.

It's not pathetic. Everyone gets nervous. I know I do when I'm around someone I'm attracted to. We play things up in our mind so much, and this just builds up more nerves when the time comes. Just try to think of the outcome you want. See, in your mind, everything going smoothly. I know it's hard to do, but it helps.

I am just lost for words!!! I guess this means that I like her?!

Yeah, in situations like this our own mind trying to play us... it happens to me all the time. I just cant think clearly and talking to a girl i like without looking like an idiot. Worst of all is, we have it in our minds. I wish i wouldnt care so much about everything i say and just DO IT.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple friends of mine have a motivating and humorous catch phrase: "Get 'em!". Not strictly in regards to women, but in regards to anything that involves you putting yourself out there. I find it helpful to have that saying in the back of my mind, just that push of motivation, reminder to go for what you want.

As much as I hate this and as desperate as I think it is, I seem to be doing the "you gotta do/try something". And yes, the result is usually me doing something very embarrassing, complete fizzer, or some other bad thing. Not to mention walking off and thinking "omg that was so desperate and lame". Not because of what they think either, but just having resorted to trying it at all.

Archived