35 yr old CEO dating me, a 19 yr old Intern

Evvy

Last year I interned with a massive govermental corporation, and apparently a few heads were turned my way. One of them, the CEO. As soon as it became common knowledge that he was interested, my manager (who was his best friend at the time) set me up on a date with him. The date was very awkward as he and I had our business reputation to look after and yet if we said no, it would seem like it was a BIG deal. The lunch was fun though, and it lasted a full 4 hours of chat and such. Ofcourse much embarassment ensued though, and although we were both mutually attracted to eachother, it just ended up us avoiding eachother, and as I was so young and really didn't know who this man was, I really steered clear of any future dates, etc.

A year went by after I finished my summer internship and I went to europe, and we communicated, more like fun-banter every month or so in a really entertaining e-mail. Always very fun and a bit flirtatious. A year later, I find myself doing an internship with the same corporation, which he actually got for me. And under a new manager and almost completley new staff, I thought that everything that happened last year would be forgotten. Uh No.

Every day at work was a struggle. The girls, and my new manager struggled to keep a straight face most of the time, I had to FIGHT to keep on being proffesional and be taken seriously. AT the end, my work was well recieved, I earned the respect of my colleagues..but the CEO was NOT acting normal.

During the internship this year, he asked me out, then stood me up, this was after I'd postponed 3 times though. Then the next time I made an effort to see him he was an hour late. when he did arrive I was so angry and upset at being treated like this that conversation was awful. Yet my manager told me privately that the CEO had been ringing her daily to see what work I had done, and what my schedule was...for a month!!!!!

However the following day, I decided to give him a THIRD chance, and as I had finished my internship by this stage, I thought that reputation was no longer important as it wasn't any longer business-related! lol. We had lunch at the most expensive resteraunt in town, he booked out the entire resteraunt, and the lunch went on for 9 hours. We ended up kissing heavily, but I had to go to another appointment, so it ended there.After kissing me he said that he'd waited a year for that. But that night I kept on getting booty calls from him! And I just ripped all his efforts to shreds as I really am not that type of girl I leave for another year tomorrow, and will probably do another internship with this company next year which is the next time I will probably see him.

During the lunch he actually seriously talked about there being an 'us', like actually legitimate boyfriend and girlfriend relationship. I was flabbergasted. He actually joked at one point that we were practically a couple already. It says something when a guy is willing to introduce you as his gf in business and in his social circles, but the thing is is that I'm not even ready to think about going there!!! That night we were going to attend a business function with all my past collegues present to sort of show off that "i'm his", but i had already said that i would attend another function.What would you people advice about this? Like I've pretty much told him that I'm not a serious relationship type girl at the moment. But he seems intent on pursuing me on a level which I'm not ever going to be ready for!!!!!! I'm actually scared that I'm going to end up regretting letting this thing go as far as it did. I honestly thought that it was just a fling....I'm so confused!!!!

It's all to do with connections. If I'm remembered well, I'll definitely be given a job when i need it. I want to end up working with various branches of this company so I need a stellar rep. hahahaha, good point though - i admit it does sound odd.

Well from what you post, it is very hard to see how a guy like this got to a CEO position. His behaviour, with both you and his managers is totally inappropriate and would lead to him being stood down in 99.5% of organisations.

I think your reputation in this place is done and dusted. Probably time to move elsewhere.

Well from what you post, it is very hard to see how a guy like this got to a CEO position. His behaviour, with both you and his managers is totally inappropriate and would lead to him being stood down in 99.5% of organisations.

I think your reputation in this place is done and dusted. Probably time to move elsewhere.

hmmmm...not bad. I suppose I would like to think that "i'm just special," and he's only acting this way because "i'm worth it". But you are probably right at the end of the day. His conduct is beratable, and as to how he got the job...ummm...charm, BS, and looks. hahaha. It's hell in the diplomatic.

"i'm just special,"

I'm sure you are and really none of this is your fault. Unfortunately though, you have been burnt forever as far as this organisation goes. Anything you do now will be linked by others to this "relationship" and you are now in a now win situation.

Fortunately you are young and can start again.

well, hopefully i'm not rude, but 35 year old CEO and 19 year old intern? This sounds like he's chasing some young tail, and doesn't remotely sound like anything serious.

I'm not even sure this sounds good for your 'reputation.'

Even after a year you don't think that it's not serious? Or after the massive ordeal of the resteraunt and such? Could be a possibility. Honestly, I'm releived that it is coming accross to other people as not being serious, it makes me feel like I'm out of the hole. Oh, and as far as reputation goes...i've never done the chasing, and i've been really discreet. It is his rep. that's a bit dodgy in the office, not mine...i think. lol .

I agree 100% with you Mel. My gut says this thread is a huge exageration of the facts. She 19yo now and met the CEO last year at 18 as an intern. Most interns I've met are usually in their last two years of their mayor's core undergraduate study. Another point is the CEO's are appointent by a board of a publicly traded corporation and what board would hire an immature 35yo as a CEO. There are too many wholes in this and I really question the validity of this thread topic.

"he booked out the entire resteraunt, and the lunch went on for 9 hours. We ended up kissing heavily, but I had to go to another appointment,"

Come on!! What time did lunch start 6:00AM? Booked out an entire restaurant for 9 hours and then you had to go to another appointment????

What a tale! Also, if he really wants to parade you around like a show pony at a social event, I would suggest you ask him to pay you $1000 just to show up for a couple of hours.

Hosed

Do you really want to be bought out by a ceo? this is a pretty daily ordinary event sleazy ceo trys to rack up with 19 year old intern has sex with her buys her stuff,books up the resteraunts,fcks her some more and then chucks her.

I met guys like that all the time when I was an intern,youth and inexperience is attractive or makes them feels powerful I guess.I thought they were vile.

"he booked out the entire resteraunt, and the lunch went on for 9 hours. We ended up kissing heavily, but I had to go to another appointment,"

Come on!! What time did lunch start 6:00AM? Booked out an entire restaurant for 9 hours and then you had to go to another appointment????

What a tale! Also, if he really wants to parade you around like a show pony at a social event, I would suggest you ask him to pay you $1000 just to show up for a couple of hours.

Hosed

Sounds like this CEO has been watching too much "The Young and the Restless" and wants to pattern himself after Victor Newman! I agree that this thread seems rather implausible.

I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt in assuming that all you have written are facts. When a man lusts after a woman he is known to go to some very unconventional lengths to vie for her attention; and a man with money who is accustomed to getting everything he wants will go twice as far to impress and further than the average man. However, as to what this man you are describing wants there is no certainty. You are a very young, and seemingly intelligent woman and must be aware of how hard it is for women to make their way into a very competitive and still mostly male dominated business world. You may have made a serious error in judgment by agreeing to meet with this man outside of the office and it is almost guaranteed that any accomplishments or promotions you receive in this company will never be given the fair recognition they deserve because of scandalous gossip about relations between you and the CEO. He already has his position, but you are young and are now working towards yours. As a woman, your reputation will take twice the hammering his will take, if his receives any at all. You should start seeking out job offers in other companies in a related industry now, and if possible avoid a repeat internship with this company. You stated yourself that you viewed all of this as just a fling and I can't imagine if you are truly a serious business woman, why you would feel that way and still give him a 2nd and 3rd chance. Nevertheless, the damage is done, and you should concentrate on damage control and not adding any more fuel to the fire. May all work out and you find a position in a company where you have fair opportunity for your work to be recognized and to make a good name for yourself.

Common sense should have told you that accepting a second internship that was actually arranged by the CEO would have resulted in this kind of experience.

It is amazing to me that women will use their sexuality to obtain special treatment in the workplace and then complain about the "inconveniences" of such special treatment. It is equally amazing that a CEO of a "massive governmental" company would behave as such.

In the future, if you decide to trade on your looks or sexuality at work, consider playing it to the hilt and don't complain about the results... or... go forward in your professional life not trading on looks, but on merit. The latter course will bring you much closer to a sterling character and reputation than the former course, which is the easy way, but most people will see through the facade of accomplishment if you choose that easy way.

• 4 weeks later...

Hmmmm. I am a CEO. I have had a relationships with a junior colleague. Her peers lost respect for her, and she was unable to work productively with them. I had no problems. There is an unfortunate dichotomy in our society when it comes to sexuality. The female generally will be considered " * * * * ty" or some such. The male is considered sleazy, but studly as well. If powerful, he is forgiven by the powerless.

Unless this man is more important to you than your reputation, you need an alternate internship next summer. You can date him, but absolutely not as an employee.

Good luck.

5 Red Flags In Relationships
5 Red Flags In Relationships

Archived