hey what do you think about this...

Difficult to answer that question without knowing more about your relationship. If the relationship is committed and marriage is on the horizon then you and your boyfriend need to discuss how you would conduct a long distance relationship, whether he would or could join you, if the job is a forever thing etc. If this is just a casual "for now relationship because both of us just want to be in a relationship and anyone will do" kind of thing then your career should take precedence. In other words, how both of you feel about your long-term goals for the relationship should be taken into consideration when deciding whether to move or not.

Someone I'm not married to....probably go with career.

Married puts a little different spin on things. I was in that situation about 5 years ago. Got a job offer in another part of the state and my husband initially did not want to move. After we sat down and looked at all the pros and cons of moving, he agreed (albeit reluctantly) that it would be better for both of us to move. It was, and he likes living here better than where we used to live.

If we hadn't been married when that came up....well, I'd be more inclined to look out for "me" than "we."

I don't know that marriage/kids is the biggest factor here. It's more a question of how serious things are and what you think he'd do if he were in your shoes. I know that sounds kind of odd, but I've learned through experience that it's important to be careful of being too committed to someone who is not as committed to you--because you're going to get burned that way. It's sort of hard to figure this out, but if you talk things through with him, it will become apparent where his head is with regard to the relationship.

Another thing to consider is that now, more than ever, jobs are hard to come by. I would guess that for most people, good jobs that match their area of interest and/or expertise are probably even harder to come by. That's something that may not have been up for consideration a few years ago.

Yes your career will be the BIGGEST factor in YOUR life regardless if you get married or not. This is not the 50's-60's where men worked ad supported the family women are in those same shoes nowadays so it's either he's with you or not......Life goes on and there is no need holding back and then after 5-10 years you regret not taking the opportunity.

Archived