Vegetarian Dog??

starlight40

Aw....the vet said my beautiful boy (my Akita) has IBS! He has to be veggie apart from fish for protein, i have gotten some fish based kibble for him and ome canned fish, sardines, tuna, salmon and mackeral all of which are either in sunflower oil or water, hes not allowed anything in brine. HGas anyone else ever encountered this problem? Any tips, advice or ideas on other stuff i can give him?

Aw....the vet said my beautiful boy (my Akita) has IBS! He has to be veggie apart from fish for protein, i have gotten some fish based kibble for him and ome canned fish, sardines, tuna, salmon and mackeral all of which are either in sunflower oil or water, hes not allowed anything in brine. HGas anyone else ever encountered this problem? Any tips, advice or ideas on other stuff i can give him?

awww...he IS a beautiful boy!

Did your veterinarian suggest any commercial diets such as Fish and Potato by Science Diet??

Thank you, hes gorgeous, like peace itself, apart from when he was pooping ALL the time! haha

No, he just said fish only for protein, nothing in brine etc not an actual diet. He said veg and fruit but i cant get him to eat them....

awww...he IS a beautiful boy!

Did your veterinarian suggest any commercial diets such as Fish and Potato by Science Diet??

Thank you, hes gorgeous, like peace itself, apart from when he was pooping ALL the time! haha

No, he just said fish only for protein, nothing in brine etc not an actual diet. He said veg and fruit but i cant get him to eat them....

Usually the dog will be placed on a diet such as Duck and Potato or Fish and Potato for a couple of months, to see if the condition improves and if it doesn't then a high fiber diet like Hill's R/D is introduced. The trick is to feed the dog a diet he has never been introduced to (like a hypoallergenic diet such as Duck or Fish and potato), then stick to that and that alone...nothing else...no treats or any other types of food.

Usually the dog will be placed on a diet such as Duck and Potato or Fish and Potato for a couple of months, to see if the condition improves and if it doesn't then a high fiber diet like Hill's R/D is introduced. The trick is to feed the dog a diet he has never been introduced to (like a hypoallergenic diet such as Duck or Fish and potato), then stick to that and that alone...nothing else...no treats or any other types of food.

Did your veterinarian perform and endoscopy and get a biopsy? Is that how your dog was diagnosed with IBS?

Just on his symptoms really, he was pooping alot as in had the poops and was being sick alot, he would go a few weeks and be okay then he would start up with it all again, the vet thinks thats what it is, he given me tablets for him and the diet, itl be biopsys etc after that if it doent improve things, the vert said the biopsys themselves can cause many more problems to begin with so i actually hope its ibs and not something else, my poor guy!

Did your veterinarian perform and endoscopy and get a biopsy? Is that how your dog was diagnosed with IBS?

Just on his symptoms really, he was pooping alot as in had the poops and was being sick alot, he would go a few weeks and be okay then he would start up with it all again, the vet thinks thats what it is, he given me tablets for him and the diet, itl be biopsys etc after that if it doent improve things, the vert said the biopsys themselves can cause many more problems to begin with so i actually hope its ibs and not something else, my poor guy!

Aww...I hope so too. I hope the diet and meds help. IBS dogs are usually prescribed Sulfasalazine, 5-ASA or mesalamine compounds and they can be very effective, just make sure to never miss a dose...

Good Luck!!! I hope he does well on his treatment.

Aww...I hope so too. I hope the diet and meds help. IBS dogs are usually prescribed Sulfasalazine, 5-ASA or mesalamine compounds and they can be very effective, just make sure to never miss a dose...

Aw thanks Tech! I surely hope so too its awful when he poorly all the time, il make sure he takes his meds. As far as diet goes, do you have any ideas what eklse i can give him? How i can get veggies into him? Ive tried him with carrots and greens bu he just leaves them in his bowl....do you think i could give him things like maybe boiled rice in with his food? i also thought about natural yoghurt, the vet said those ones with the friendly bacteria in them would be beneficial......

Maybe he's allergic to his food.

Prepared dog food has a load of preservatives and un-natural chemicals in it.

Switch him to a BARF diet without the meats and see how he goes.

My five dogs all eat BARF, with meat, and they're a hella lot healthier than the commercially fed dogs I walk.

My Saint had a problem that caused him to vomit every day. The vet said he had internal issues and swapped him from one canned and dry food to the next, him steadily getting worse.

Then my mentor at the Saint Club told me, switch to BARF. I thought it was hippy rubbish at first, and my vet said it'd kill him within a year and that was 8 years ago. He's 13 and still walks an hour a day, goes to the vet once a year for a checkup and doesn't vomit anymore.

Every time we go for the checkup the vet crows "See! Told you he'd get sick!"

13 years and he's only ever had one sickness, and that was caused by the rubbish my vet was recommending to me.

Archived