Should I get rid of the ring?

KrisAnn

A couple of months ago, I posted a thread here about breaking off my engagement after 5 1/2 years. Surprisingly, everything is going very well. We're getting along better than we have in years, and I'm more and more convinced every day that I made the right decision.

Considering we've both started dating, it kind of made me realize that maybe things weren't so great for a while. Anyway...

I have this ring. I picked it out, I paid for it myself. I'm not one of those sentimental types, so to me it's just a pretty diamond ring that I can't wear.

I've considered pawning it or selling it elsewhere, because it will do nothing but sit in the ring box until the end of time. Is that wrong of me to do? I feel kind of bad, but at the same time I don't see any logical reason to keep it.

Just looking for unbiased input here

If you paid for it yourself, then it is yours to do what you wish. You can take it to a local jeweler and have it made into a piece you would enjoy, like a pendant or cocktail ring, or just sell it. You don't necessarily have to take it to a pawn shop. Go to someone who only deals in fine jewelry. When my ex husband left me, I found out I was better off selling the gold seperately and putting the diamond on consignment. I got twice the price I would have doing that then taking it down to the local pawn. Just talk to someone who really knows their stuff and go into the next town if its more upscale/has more upscale jewelers if you have to.

I would only get rid of the the entire ring (including making it into a necklace) if it brings back bad memories. I once had a cross that my ex gave me. I loved the cross but ended up selling it on ebay because it bothered me to wear it. My point being, don't keep it if you think it will make you uncomfortable wearing it.

You should take into account how much sentimental value that ring has for your guy as well as yourself before you consider dumping it. Yes, it is just a material thing, but it means a lot, or you wouldn't still have it.

The suggestions to turn it into a pendant sound great.

It's only worth money - you can make more money. You can't get it back once you dispose of it.

i think there are websites set up for this sort of thing. (women who said no to the proposal, men who bought the ring and changed their minds, etc....) let me do some digging....

link removed

sites like these for example.

or ebay.

but you probably won't break even on the deal. you might have to take the loss.

Archived