Friendzone or not?

easyguy

Although rejection doesn't hurt me anymore (nothing beyond a Sigh, oh well), I'm wondering what you people think of this situation:

There's a girl - who we'll call E - who I had class with last quarter at school. We chit-chatted every now and then, but our conflicting schedules in and outside of school made it impossible for us to hang out. I asked her out for dinner (or something of that matter, a late evening hang), but she declined, saying that she had class until the late evening. Over the summer, we kept in touch, despite both of us being out of town.

We recently had lunch in her neighborhood (which is close to the school we go to), splitting the bill. Conversation went well, both of us sharing stories and information about our daily lives. She made eye contact quite a few times, and I did nothing more than be myself, asking open-ended questions.

Afterwards, I walked her to her apartment and continued our conversation inside, hanging out for 45 minutes or so. Just before I left, she gave me a gift (a homemade food item). I gladly accepted it and thanked her for it. A couple days later, I invited her to a concert that I wanted to go to next month (coming up in September). She sounded excited to join me. I never said "Will you go out to dinner with me?", rather, "I'm thinking of going to hear so-and-so at this one place, would you like to join?"

Question is - granted she is still interested in coming to the concert with me - should I give or a more suggestive gift, like flowers, or just treat the concert invitation as the gift and as a friend? It's an upscale, date-friendly kind of venue. She didn't say maybe or possibly, sort of.. a "That sounds great, let me know."

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I forgot to mention the OP that I am also interested in two other women. One of them is a close friend, and the other is the sister of the close friend. I'm meeting for coffee with the sister of the close friend later this week. There are moments when the close friend flirtatiously smiles at me when in my presence, even introducing me to her parents and her friends.

So how do you treat her as a potential girlfriend?

Good question! What I would do is flirt a ton, be even more of a gentleman than I usually am, and make sure I always have a decent stack of jokes at the ready for when I'm around her. I might even lightheartedly tease her and then let her know I was kidding. Other guys would probably do it differently, but that's just me.

Archived