Asking for a Raise, and accepting more job responsibility dilemma

KISSNTELL

I have been at my current job for about 5 months now. I have had my 3 month review with exceptional responses to my work ethics, but did not receive a raise due to economic hard times... ect..

At the beginning of July an opening for a promotion came up. I had planned on going for it immediately, but i suffered a close lose in the family and was out of work for a week while I coped and supported family. By the time i returned to work the position was filled by another good candidate who happened to got hired when i did.

Now a month later... Recently my job has been requesting I work some promotion lead shifts since they have been having a hard time covering. I am not trained to do this and have not been promoted, but am capable of the job. I want to accept and do it, but i also do not want to be taken granted for. I want to ask for a raise, and a promotion but do not know how to approach the situation? WWYD??

An absence for a week would not have ruined your chances for the promotion if they really had you in mind for it. I assume they had the other person in mind. I would not ask for a raise now..you have only been there 5 months. Do the job they have asked you to do..prove yourself and then when you have been there for a year and have shown them how you had risen to the challenge you will be in a better position to ask for a raise.

that is much the same way it is for my job. They'll have you do the extra work (if you accept it of course) and that little experience you can point back up to them when the next promotion comes around. Employers look for people who are not just qualified, but commited to the company.

Don't lose hope, because you got passed up in the first promotion. Another round will be on it's way and you should do everything you can to get yourself looking good for that next one.

If I were in your shoes I would stay put until an "official" new opening and promotion present themselves, which I'm sure they will in time. You don't want to put yourself in a situation where you're doing things for the company which require more effort/experience and generate more money to your employer without an increased salary to your benefit. Some people are eager to take on more responsibility assuming their employer will increase their salary if they are happy with the work and when that doesn't happen they are stuck doing all these additional tasks (since they proved they are capable of handling them) with out additional reimbursment and this creates negative situations you should try to avoid. So to sum up, I would stay put and wait for an official promotion to present itself then a raise would naturally come up as a topic of discussion.

Most places only give raises once a year regardless, unless something different was discussed when they hired you.

I would go ahead and assume the responsbility, and before your annual review comes up, make sure you talk with your boss and point out the extra responsibility and ask what it would take to get a promotion. They may reward you then, or you may need to meet certain criteria to qualify for a promotion.

Archived