Quick resume question...

Puma

I've written up one page listing my job history with brief descriptions in bullet form and my education, then a second page listing my professional references.

Is this enough to submit, or do I need a cover letter? If so, that's three pages. Most say to keep a resume only one to two.

i agree CV (Cover Letter) and your references are 2 different things. You could start handing out your cover letter with your resume and at the bottom of the resume put REFERENCES AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST centered and in bold. that way you only have 2 pages to hand out.(I usually do this)

but 3 is usually fine as long as you have CV Resume and References.. a 3 page Resume is definitely over board! But you dont have this so dont worry. Hope this helps

I've written up one page listing my job history with brief descriptions in bullet form and my education, then a second page listing my professional references.

Is this enough to submit, or do I need a cover letter? If so, that's three pages. Most say to keep a resume only one to two.

First of all, a resume is not the same thing as a cover letter. Both of those are not the same as a references document.

Second of all, in real life, a resume can be well over 1 page long. I've heard of people having 3 pages for a resume--it's just impossible to avoid the older you get combined with the more experience you tally up. Depending on what your profession is, how much work experience you have, what skills you gained during each experience, etc., etc... All these things determine what the best fit is for your resume. Try to find more than 2 professionals whom you can go to for validation on this.

Lastly, try to always call your references to give them a heads-up when you apply somewhere. I forgot to do this and I was later contacted by someone on my references document to respectfully remember to inform him next time. Ouch!

Oh, and by the way, personal experience always told me that a cover letter is always a way to connect your resume to the job you're applying to. I never include them when I apply to places I'm "iffy" on, but for the ones I really want, I ALWAYS include on because you have to open the flood gates to your professionalism when and if you come accross a job that sounds really cool.

I dont think 3 page resumes are appropriate and whoever sends resumes like that probably gets their resume thrown at the bottom of the list. If I'm doing the hiring and I have 100 resumes to go threw I'd rather have them short and sweet but good enough to tempt me to call and ask questions. Even if you have had a ton of experience most jobs require you only go back to 3 or 4 jobs the most. It wouldn't look good if you had 10 jobs within the past year.

just my opinion

Looks like there's some confusion here. I thought the cover letter was considered to be part of the resume, and didn't realize it's a whole separate entity...... is that right?

This is how I saw it

Page 1 - Cover Letter

Page 2 - Objective, job history, education history

Page 3 - Professional references

I've listed only the jobs I've had that were pertinent to what I'm applying to, that show I'm fit for anything customer service oriented and technologically savvy. So consensus suggests I send off my cover letter, my page 2, and my page of references BUT ONLY if requested by the job posting, correct? Just wanna make sure before I make myself look foolish to prospective employers.

I'd make your resume shorter and more relevant to the job you're trying to go for. I mean, you're 20??? How much experience do you have?! (Not patronizing, but typically us 20somethings aren't that experienced! but if you are, good for you!!) And yes, CV is separate and needed! Good luck!

I've worked as a waitress at a hotel restaurant for 4 years and have been working an office job for a healthcare company for 7 months. I don't think that's too bad for a 20-year-old.

Cover letters are generally asked for but regardless will be looked at whether asked for or not. THEY are really important. A cover letter should only be about 3 or 4 paragraphs long. It is your chance to provide positive upbeat details about yourself and your skills that are relevant to THIS job. They should be exciting, clear and to the point.

For example saying 'I have excellent communication skills" means nothing and tells an employer nothing. But if you said instead I take the time to really listen to our valued customers with the aim of providing exemplory customer service. I will offer our services/products, outlining and explaining the features and benefits of each that I believe will meet their personal needs to their complete satisfaction"...This tells an employer HOW you use your communication skills..anyway just an example.. A good cover letter GRABS the attention of an employer!! and they then WANT to take the time to read your resume!! good luck

Archived