To ask a girl out on a date.

Symbolic

Would it be completely insane to go up to some random girl at say..wal-mart that caught your eye and just say "Hi, my name is Megatron, would you like to go out to dinner with me?"

I was thinking of trying that out and see what happens. But since I have about 2 months before I'll ever get near a wal-mart or any other store for that matter I figured I'd just see if its crazy on here first.

Would it be completely insane to go up to some random girl at say..wal-mart that caught your eye and just say "Hi, my name is Megatron, would you like to go out to dinner with me?"

I was thinking of trying that out and see what happens. But since I have about 2 months before I'll ever get near a wal-mart or any other store for that matter I figured I'd just see if its crazy on here first.

I AM MEGATRON!

I'd advise at least a few minutes of small talk before pulling the date talk. Say, about the products that are on display.

If I worked somewhere and someone did that, I'd think it'd be pretty rude. One of the waitresses I work with has been hit on and asked out before by customers. It just isn't the place for questions like that to drop. You may have your eye on her, but she may be taken and not have her eye on you.

I say keep that out of the workplace, even if you are not working there.

Are you going to indicate to the McD kiosk as you say it?

Hmm, for effectiveness it probably won't be a huge winner. There is something (to me at least) inherently comedic about approaching someone at Wally's for a date.

But as far as craziness, it's not that crazy. Right girl, right approach, and hey you never know. Wrong girl, wrong approach, it could be a blooper.

Happened to me last week while I was studying in Starbucks. He made small talk with me for a few minutes in between introducing himself and asking me out, but I respectfully declined. I just wasn't attracted to him. If a girl is attracted to you and single, she's gonna take you up on it. That's really all it comes down to.

Sooo its not insane? And I just said wal-mart because everybody knows what wal-mart is.

Also there is a few times where I've caught a girls eye walking past, and I look back and shes looking back at me. I should go talk to these girls but I'm stupid and I never do. I should right? I mean they looked back. Its just that I feel so stuipid talking to somebody at a store lol. Like "hey hows that downy softener doing for ya?" haha. I'd rather get to the point faster I guess, especially in a situation where someone is trying to shop and be on their way.

And no, it's not insane, but you might get rejected quite a bit. I think that I feel differently about this than most girls. I do not get offended at all when I am approached; in fact, it's always quite flattering, and even if I'm totally not attracted to the guy, I'm happy to have a conversation with him and then let him know that I'm not interested in dating him if he asks for one. But I wouldn't straight up be like, "I'm Symbolic, can I take you out to dinner?" That's a bit sudden. But if you're at say, Wal-Mart (whatever the hell that is ), reach for the same thing she's getting and be like, "hey, do you know if this Lean Cuisine is any good? I only like one kind and I'm always scared to try a new one," or some nonchalant question or comment about the product. I'm quite friendly when strangers talk to me, so something like that would not phase me a bit.

It seems so weird and corny to me to strike up a conversation lean cuisine (btw how did you know wal-mart sells that if you don't know what it is?) and go forward from there. Like "hey this digiorno pizza is great! I love the cheese stuffed crust, how about you?" Could I really just start up a conversation like that, and go where it takes me? I can imagine it leading into other questions and stuff, maybe that is a better idea the more I think about it.

When I was about 22, some random dude came up to me while I was reading a magazine in Safeway, tapped me on the shoulder and so I looked up from the magazine. He said "You're beautiful", and then hurried away.

I shrugged and went right back to the magazine. Obviously, that was too awkward.

A small chit-chat about something in the aisles that she is looking at, or maybe if you have something funny (and NOT sexual humor) to say about some object in the store to strike up a short conversation, then quickly introduce yourself and smile. But you have to be prepared for rejection. It could work.

It seems so weird and corny to me to strike up a conversation lean cuisine (btw how did you know wal-mart sells that if you don't know what it is?) and go forward from there. Like "hey this digiorno pizza is great! I love the cheese stuffed crust, how about you?" Could I really just start up a conversation like that, and go where it takes me? I can imagine it leading into other questions and stuff, maybe that is a better idea the more I think about it.

lol I was being sarcastic, dummy! Or are you just playing back with me now? It's so hard to tell on these dadgum machines!

I don't think it's cheesy. I'd much rather be approached that way than by some strange, eager man walking up to me with his hand held out going "Hello, I'm Symbolic!!"

So, uh, rather than just discussing the qualities of the product (I'll tell you, that low fat milk is really something! You should take advantage of its wonders. Date me!), why not joke about yours and her perusal? Being funny is pretty key. People meet at supermarkets and such all the time. Book stores are good, too, as discussion will probably be easy to manage (assuming, of course, you have some equal footing in the literary department).

But as far as craziness, it's not that crazy. Right girl, right approach, and hey you never know. Wrong girl, wrong approach, it could be a blooper.

Blooper to right center... Falling, falling... THERE IT IS! HE'S COMING AROUND TO SCORE! SYMBOLIC TOUCHES HOME! THEY'RE GOING CRAZY, FOLKS, THEY'RE GOING CRAZY!

Direct approach does work. The key is "direct." Don't mask your intentions.

"Hey, I don't usually do this, but I want to talk to you. You look kinda cute."

Then, she'll be kinda surprised. Probably laugh - That means she's responsive. In any case, keep going like this, "You aren't from Vancouver, are you?"

Then, she'll say, "No, I'm not. I'm from China." (Or something like that.)

Anyway, after a while, say, "I've gotta go, but I would love to continue this conversation sometime. Do you have Facebook?"

If she says "no," be persistent and ask for phone number, msn, email, or whatever.

After you get her phone number, text her (e.g. after ten minutes or an hour), "Hey, I think you look really cute. How about dinner with me tomorrow."

This is absolutely fool-proof. It's like riding a bike - Once you've mastered it, you've mastered it forever. When you finally learn to do this, then you're dating opportunities will increase many times. You get to make new friends, do new things, and learn about new people. Most of all, you'll learn many valuable lessons about women, which will prepare you for a meaningful, inspiring relationship.

Direct approach does work. The key is "direct." Don't mask your intentions.

I think that a direct approach or an indirect approach can work.

What is important is doing something. What is important is not fearing rejection. (People smell fear and it is scary to them on a deep level.)

Also scary on a deep level is dishonesty. So the masking of intentions can be a bit of an offput, too. So this is an excellent point, imprecison.

Let's don't forget that human communication is mostly non-verbal. Therefore the verbal can be indirect to reduce the tension: thus allowing the getting-acquainted process to unfold more gently ... all the while there may be loads of nonverbal stuff going on. Both know fully well what is really going on.

Isn't there something about eye dilation which occurs in sexual attraction? And both sexes pick-up on this subconsciously??

Humans are incredibly complex, especially when it comes to attraction and courting. Doing something in one case backfires in another, at least for me. I am definitely still learning.

Archived