Borderline result on cervical smear...

Thanks miss kitty, im just really worried, they said its just very small changes that can happened to 1 in 20 people. Said that cervical cancer take a long time to develop which is why they dont need me to have another test for 6 months because the cells could just go back to normal....not a very nice feeling though...

I have; it usually means that they're not confident about the results the lab got -- that is to say, they're not confident about the accuracy of the testing. Problems can come from a variety of sources -- I had two consecutive tests in which the swabbed sample didn't contain enough cervical cells for them to do a proper analysis. First time I was told something like what you've been told, and asked to come back in 6 months. Six months later, bizarrely enough, the same problem. The doctor had me come in 3 months after the 2nd appointment and made sure her swabbing was sufficient to get the needed tissue.

If they don't want to see you for another 6 months, they're not worried. They just can't conclusively give you a clean bill of health.

I have; it usually means that they're not confident about the results the lab got -- that is to say, they're not confident about the accuracy of the testing. Problems can come from a variety of sources -- I had two consecutive tests in which the swabbed sample didn't contain enough cervical cells for them to do a proper analysis. First time I was told something like what you've been told, and asked to come back in 6 months. Six months later, bizarrely enough, the same problem. The doctor had me come in 3 months after the 2nd appointment and made sure her swabbing was sufficient to get the needed tissue.

If they don't want to see you for another 6 months, they're not worried. They just can't conclusively give you a clean bill of health.

Thank you for your help, so, if you dont mind me asking, are you okay now?

It's nothing to worry about, I have had that. If they don't want you in for another six months, then its nothing to worry about.

It just means that some abnormal cells have shown which MAY develop into cancer, but this takes a long old time and you can have a small operation to "remove" them involving laser treatment way before it becomes a problem. I have had that done too, the laser treatment. I still have to go every six months now just to make sure, better to be safe!

I've dealt with this for years. I have HPV (human papillomavirus), which dramatically increases the risk of cervical cancer and is the #1 cause of abnormal Pap smears like this.

Cervical cancer, if it develops at all, tends to move very very slowly, it is readily detectable with Pap smears, and it is VERY treatable. So try not to freak out! If they've told you to just get re-tested in 6 months, then the test is NOT saying you have cancer, just somewhat abnormal cells.

As my doctor explained it, there's a spectrum of results on Pap tests:

Normal

Mildly abnormal (mild dysplasia)

Moderately abnormal (moderate dysplasia)

Severely abnormal

Cancerous

If they're just having you wait & re-test, you're probably in the mild-to-moderate range. I've been there, and it doesn't mean it'll necessarily turn into cancer. In fact, I've had a whole year of negative Pap tests now, and in the 10+ years I've had HPV, it's never gotten worse than moderate dysplasia. There have been long stretches where it's not abnormal at all.

So no, it's not a great situation, but it's one of the easiest conditions to monitor and treat.

One important thing to know is that if you have HPV (and you should ask your doctor ab out that), it is sexually transmitted. It can lie dormant for years, but it is an STD. So you should take the appropriate precautions if you are sexually active.

Thanks everyone for making me feel better about this, i was really shocked and worried when i first read the letter but thanks to you guys ive calmed down alot. Ive read up on it on the net too so i will go for my next test in 6months time and go from there, ive also been on immunosuppresant drugs for psoriasis which apparently can cause abnormal results. Ive booked myself in for a full std screen tomorrow- im in no way promiscuous but ive thought for a while id go get the screening just incase.

Archived