how do you "heal"?

I think it's different for everyone, how one person gets through the pain may not work with someone else.

Basically you get to the point where some things are in your control, other things aren't. As hard as it is, and it is very hard, you have to live and let live.

Sometimes you have to chalk it up as a loss and look forward to whatever life has in store next.

Heartbreak is a terrible feeling and in time, I suppose it gets easier. Give yourself time to be able to love again, perhaps the next time will be better than the last.

I don't know, I have to tell myself these things to get over my own heartbreak.

Good luck, talk to friends, pray to God or whomever suits you, remember you are never truly alone.

Staying busy, going out with friends or family, trying new things (sky diving, learning to fly, etc), volunteering, buying or adopting a pet.

The quote "time heals all wounds" isn't really true. It's what you do with your life after you are hurt that either makes you happy or miserable. Sitting around and feeling sorry for yourself is the worst thing you can do (time will literally stand still). If someone hurt you then move on and forget them as soon as your mind allows you to.

Personally, I've found time, friends and family have done the trick. I did spend two months at home virtually every night, just sitting there, thinking about him. For me personally, I don't see that as a bad thing - I had to process it and had a lot to get my head around! But now I have gotten my head around it, I've started dating again. I don't need to think about the break up anymore. Who knows whether he'll ever come back but I'm not sitting here waiting. All I know is he's not here now so I've got to keep moving forward, however far from him that takes me. The attention and a bit of new, interesting company takes your mind off it incredibly quickly, though I did wait until I felt (almost!) ready.

with a broken arm, you go to the doc... you take the meds.. and you wear a cast.

what do you do with a broken heart? i think mine healed wrong.

-___-"

I really like your question. I'm sorry that you think your heart healed wrong, but you are asking a great question. I don't think there is really a "cure-all" but I'll tell you what I did. I just reorganized my life. I started with creating priorities. I focused hard on my job. I cleaned out my house and made it "my house." I removed negative friends. I told my family how things were going to be instead of letting them treat me like I was helpless. And I honestly just decided that being alone was better than being with someone who I either wasn't happy with or who wasn't happy with me. I decided finding someone who can be my best friend and my partner in crime was just as important as finding a lover. Was it easy? No. Is my current relationship perfect? No, but I am inspired to work hard for her and that is something I couldn't do until I reorganized who I was.

it's like there's a thorn stuck in my heart (lol i am so cheesy!) and i have done things with my life that has helped me "heal" but it just healed over that thorn...

i want to get rid of this metaphorical thorn...~

I sort of know how you feel. I definitely am happy in my life, but my heart feels a lot different than it once did.

We'll need to google thorn removal procedure...

I surround myself by friends and make plenty of arrangements so that I have things to look forward to. I try to think positively about the break-up ... and negatively about my ex (as in his bad points and why the relationship wouldn't have worked). It is so easy to forget the bad points and to focus on the good times when we are hurting.

Although all these things help me the real healer is time. The trick is not to expect too much too soon and not to put to much pressure on ourselves.

If only we could pop a pill and feel better. How much better I would be feeling right now ... *sigh*

Archived