Open Club  ·  21 members  ·  Free

Check out our guide to the best hon...
Check out our guide to the best honeymoon getaways!
Travel and Culture

Perfect Dark

Which is the best place to visit for a holiday; Cali or Florida? I'm pretty much decided on Cali as it looks immense and I know I will love it. But Florida looks Awesome too and cheaper and easy to plan.

Has anyone from the U.K been to either places? If so let me know what it was like.

Opinions, thanx.

Personally, I love FL but that's b/c I'm from there I've never been to Cali but I hear you can't go wrong with San Fran and San Diego.

In Florida, you have lots of gorgeous beaches and Disney World and such. But in Cali, you can go to Napa and do a wine tour, you can go to the beach, travel around to all of the touristy places. Also very pretty nature and all of that, like Redwood and such.

Honestly, I'd try to go to Cali, just b/c off the top of my head, I can't think of much for Florida, other than the Florida Keys (pretty!) and Disney World.

We have nice beaches out here in Cali.

San Diego is cool. Not as crowded as LA area.

San Francisco is also nice, very touristy. Wine tours are fun, so is seeing the Redwoods.

If you want amusement parks, we have Disneyland in LA area.

Yeah Cali beaches look Amazzzing! I have had random frequent dreams about them lol.

Eventually one day I want to do both, which one first? FLorida is cheaper and easier to plan.

I've been all over the US and San Diego is the most beautiful city I have ever seen! I'm from L. A., and while I love it here, nothing and nowhere can compete with San Diego for beauty and things to do. Florida is flat and humid. San Diego and L.A. have beautiful beaches, mountains (we have great skiing here!), fantastic restaurants, just so much here to delight all of your senses! The only thing I must warn you about is that it is SUPER EXPENSIVE here! You were warned.

I've been all over the US and San Diego is the most beautiful city I have ever seen! I'm from L. A., and while I love it here, nothing and nowhere can compete with San Diego for beauty and things to do. Florida is flat and humid. San Diego and L.A. have beautiful beaches, mountains (we have great skiing here!), fantastic restaurants, just so much here to delight all of your senses! The only thing I must warn you about is that it is SUPER EXPENSIVE here! You were warned.

That is why I am thinking of Florida first. I know about expensive lol as I live in the U.K.

you are right on the flat part. there's not much "pretty" other than the beach.

How long are you planning your trip to be? It doesn't have to be all theme parks. Definitely not. But I'd choose Cali since it has all of the stuff you can do in FL plus some.

Yeah Cali beaches look Amazzzing! I have had random frequent dreams about them lol.

Eventually one day I want to do both, which one first? FLorida is cheaper and easier to plan.

CA, you have more options and don't have to be tied down to doing things.

For example, you can come out here for a week or two, fly into San Francisco, stay a few days there (to explore and do touristy things), then drive down the PCH (Pacific Coast Hwy) - very scenic, to LA and do a few things there for a few days (aka sightsee Hollywood, go see a beach, go to Disneyland, etc), and then drive down the San Diego (two hours south), and stay a few days (sightsee, go to the beach, etc). And then fly home from San Diego, or LA.

I've done that before many years ago and it was a lot of fun. And you get a taste of both northern AND southern CA.

And it shouldn't be too expensive.

you are right on the flat part. there's not much "pretty" other than the beach.

How long are you planning your trip to be? It doesn't have to be all theme parks. Definitely not. But I'd choose Cali since it has all of the stuff you can do in FL plus some.

Possibly 2 weeks, one week isn't that long considering all if the traveling.

I've always wanted to walk down Huntington Beach in Cali.

CA, you have more options and don't have to be tied down to doing things.

For example, you can come out here for a week or two, fly into San Francisco, stay a few days there (to explore and do touristy things), then drive down the PCH (Pacific Coast Hwy) - very scenic, to LA and do a few things there for a few days (aka sightsee Hollywood, go see a beach, go to Disneyland, etc), and then drive down the San Diego (two hours south), and stay a few days (sightsee, go to the beach, etc). And then fly home from San Diego, or LA.

I've done that before many years ago and it was a lot of fun. And you get a taste of both northern AND southern CA.

And it shouldn't be too expensive.

Excellent! You have just planned my holiday!!!

I haven't got the money to travel lol. I am trying to save and failing epically! But I am doing it now. Must stop buying random crap.

that's my biggest problem. i have been able to save money to move, but i keep taking out of that. if i didn't have to move, i coudl buy a ticket somewhere now. i hope i dont blow through anymore of it. it's really buying random crap and going out to eat that sets me behind!

that's my biggest problem. i have been able to save money to move, but i keep taking out of that. if i didn't have to move, i coudl buy a ticket somewhere now. i hope i dont blow through anymore of it. it's really buying random crap and going out to eat that sets me behind!

It's BS that money doesn't buy us happiness.

Being a lifelong Californian, I am, of course, a bit biased, but I think you should pick CA. I have actually been to Florida, and it's lovely, but CA has better weather (heat-wise, it's similar, but CA is generally not humid like FL). It's HUGE, and it has a little bit of everything. If you want mountains, we've got mountains. If you want rivers and lakes, we've got a ton of those (Lake Tahoe is a great lake/mountain combo, really nice this time of year). Best of all, we have lots and lots of ocean -- San Diego, LA, and San Francisco, of course, but also smaller cities like Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz, and the beautiful Monterey/Carmel area. All that, PLUS Disneyland and other amusment parks, giant redwoods, state parks (Yosemite, etc.) gorgeous coastliine (Mendocino!) wine country EVERYWHERE...

And, one of the best things about California: No hurricanes. Or tornadoes. Whew. We do have the occasional jolty earthquake, but I haven't felt one in awhile, and there have only been a couple of "big" ones in my lifetime. Once you've felt one, they're not particularly scary. Way less scary, in my book, than 120 mph winds or giant twisters coming at ya!

Ahhhh, California. It has its issues (our craptacular state legistlature and its ridiculous budget, for one), but it is a wonderful place.

If you go to Florida in the summer, you will probably hate it. It doesn't get much more hot and humid than that. I've been a couple of times and I didn't like it enough to say that I would recommend going there. Much of the state was just strip malls and I didn't like all the high rise hotels along the beach fronts. However, I did love Key West. That place was fun. Don't bother with Disney World. It's a waste of money and it's extremely crowded.

I haven't been to California (not outside the airports anyway), but I think you'd probably enjoy it more than Florida.

I've been to both California and Florida.. my personal choice.. southern California all the way... the only other place more beautiful than San Diego, is Wiamia, Hawaii.

Florida = hot, humid and buggy! (sorry Floridians, but not for me!)

Pay no attention to Mutley... southern Ohio welcomes you!

I am from the UK and have lived in Florida for five years. That said, I have been to Cali a few times and really liked it. I would go there if I were you, especially up to San Francisco, Santa Monica and I am sure there are other good areas too that I don't know of.

Florida is good to visit if you like theme parks and an active holiday. Culturally, California has much more to offer.

Archived