Why don't they let old people do it in nursing homes?

scared and alone
What Will Influencers Do When They ...
What Will Influencers Do When They Get Old?

I'm sure if they're in a nursing home it pretty much means that they're incapable of looking after themselves so I doubt they would be able to even if they wanted to. Even if they could maybe it would complicate matters. Also I suppose sex would be the last thing on their minds.

People in nursing homes can have sex, and it is the responsibility of staff to ensure that their right to privacy is respected. Some people develop relationships while in the nursing home, and they can room together if they wish. Others are married and time and space is set aside for them to be with their spouses who might live there or in the community. At the same time, it is also the responsibility of the staff to ensure that residents are not being exploited and that they are capable of making the decision to be sexually involved and are not being taken advantage of. Being elderly or disabled does not mean that someone can't enjoy sex. This is a right that nursing homes have to protect or risk sanction.

shoefairy, you may be right, but IF they want to get it on, i say let 'em. What else do they have to look forward to? They're in an old peoples home for crying out loud, let them enjoy ONE damn thing. Besides, they lived this long, they deserve this much.

Hmmm, I see what you mean. Maybe I am a bit old fashioned like that though, I don't like to think of old people doing it lol

Hmmm, I see what you mean. Maybe I am a bit old fashioned like that though, I don't like to think of old people doing it lol

lol well, its not a turn on to me either, but i dont think that we have the right to tell them they CANT do it, i mean, stop them, just because we dont want to have to keep them safe. i think if they are physically capable, then who are we to tell them no, just because it MIGHT be more work for us?

lol well, its not a turn on to me either, but i dont think that we have the right to tell them they CANT do it, i mean, stop them, just because we dont want to have to keep them safe. i think if they are physically capable, then who are we to tell them no, just because it MIGHT be more work for us?

Yes I definitely agree! I don't think they should be forbidden to do it. Esp if they are paying a lot of money to stay there. Lots of those places cost a fortune!

I'm pretty sure they do get it on in those places. Certainly in the retirement facilities (not nursing homes.. just those building where old ppl live).

I definitely hope I'm getting some when I'm an old geezer. I fear the day I stop wanting sex almost as much as i fear death itself.

I had no idea that they werent allowed to do it

Really, the reason probably is the same as why people dont liek the thought of disabled people doing it (which is a pet issue of mine, i think everyone has a right to sex)

Disability- relaince on others for help, brings the association of childhood with it- helplessness

Old age- the same.

And no one wants to associate that with sex.

I think the issue really is if the two people have actually consented to sex and are in their right mind. There are a lot of people with Alzheimer's or dementia who don't know what they are doing..some can be violent, some can enter someone else's room without permission. When my grandfather was in a nursing home there was a man with dementia who was pretty violent and would just walk into people's rooms. If STDs are rampant in a particular home then something is wrong there and staff are turning a blind eye to what is going on. Sex shouldn't have to stop just because a person is in a senior's residence...but the staff should make sure that people are safe.

i've heard of some cases in the news where the children of the randy couple objected to these encounters, and asked for a 'restraining order.' how sad.

makes you wonder.... WHY.

do their kids have nothing better to do than to make sure they're not having sex in their last years of life?

get a career. i mean, seriously, allow people the privacy and respect that they've earned. it drives me nuts when people act like old age equals reverting back to infancy.

They can do it, and they do. And the staff have to make sure that if they want to, things are set up for them and that their right to privacy is protected. But, they also have to make sure that if they are impaired (like with brain injury or severe dementia) that they are not being taken advantage of. This is the law.

So, where is the idea coming from that residents of nursing homes are not allowed to have sex?

makes you wonder.... WHY.

do their kids have nothing better to do than to make sure they're not having sex in their last years of life?

get a career. i mean, seriously, allow people the privacy and respect that they've earned. it drives me nuts when people act like old age equals reverting back to infancy.

It depends on the situation..if the parent in question had dementia then perhaps that is why the children were concerned. You don't know the real story. There are lots of people who take advantage of others, sexually, even in the senior years. There seems to be two camps on this thread..those who say "whoo hoo, it's sex, go for it" and those who say "gross, seniors having sex"...what about the middle ground..RESPONSIBLE SEX amongst seniors...but since we live in a society where many are irresponsible about sex or think sex is just for young people, it is not surprising that there are these two extreme viewpoints.

Archived