How do you know if you are a sex addict or just going through a faze?

sarahN

It's only a problem when it negatively impacts other aspects of your life. As long as you use the appropriate protection and you are not neglecting other valuable aspects of your life then I don't see any problem with it. I see a sex addict as someone who for whole days is consumed by sexual thoughts and cannot focus on other things in their life that matter because of this.

I think hooking up in itself isn't unhealthy, but you should know your reason for doing it and doing it so often.

What's your reasoning for hooking up so often? Horniness, needing intimacy, etc? Are you able to function normally without hooking up this much? Can you not think about sex/messing around for an extended period of time? Are you using protection and/or taking into account the risk of contracting STDs or pregnancy? What do these guys mean to you? Are you honest with them about what you want? Are you under the influences of drugs or alcohol when hooking up?

^I think you should ask yourself these things and answer honestly to determine if you have a problem or not. Frequent, casual sex does not equal an addiction or being unhealthy, but you should do some soul searching or talk to a therapist to be sure of it.

It's only a problem when it negatively impacts other aspects of your life. As long as you use the appropriate protection and you are not neglecting other valuable aspects of your life then I don't see any problem with it. I see a sex addict as someone who for whole days is consumed by sexual thoughts and cannot focus on other things in their life that matter because of this.

Yes, it depends on the reasons you are doing it too... If you think you are doing it to get validation, need it to feel better about yourself or life then again it can be a big problem. But if you just love to have sex and this behavior is acceptable to you, then nothing is wrong with it.

I think you mean "phase." but i would say it's an 'addiction' if it's getting in the way of your life or harming yourself in some way. like if you are having unprotected sex, if your need for sex is causing you to ignore your friends or responsibilities, if you are so hungry for sex you are going after your friends' boyfriends, or it's stopping you from forming a real relationship (if you want one) etc.... then i would say it's a problem. if you are being as safe as you can, having fun, i think it's a phase and you are just having fun for now.

Meaning, if you are hooking up with say, 2 guys a week, every week, for a month. Not always sex but sometimes. Would this be considered a problem? How long would this have to occur to be a problem? Just curios.

Two different guys? if so, then id say yes there is an issue...

Meaning, if you are hooking up with say, 2 guys a week, every week, for a month. Not always sex but sometimes. Would this be considered a problem? How long would this have to occur to be a problem? Just curios.

No that's not a sex addiction. You have a healthy sexual appetite, you are single and you want to have fun. That is not an addiction. An addiction is when it overtakes your life completely. For example, if you are leaving work in the middle of the day to have sex instead of going to an important meeting, knowing it would jeopardize your career or you indiscriminately start having sex with your sisters'/friends' husbands etc. and in the process damaging all these relationships beyond repair, that is an addiction.

But, what I do find weird though is that you are putting a number on it, 2 hookups a week or what ever. Why would it be so calculated? These things just happen. One week you might meet one guy, another week 3 guys or whatever. Specially considering how only a few days ago you were complaining about how there are no attractive guys hitting on you.

Like any addiction, it would take over your spare thinking moments. Pretty much the only respite you would have from thinking about the next time is during the next time. Frequency doesn't figure in. It is an obsession of the mind which is acted out over and over. One main factor would be remorse afterwards. Why does it have to be different partners? Because the addict cannot face the same one again.

addiction is defined as:

being abnormally tolerant to and dependent on something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming

2x per week does not an addiction make. If you were in a committed relationship and were not getting enough sex from that partner and were partaking in dangerous behaviours recklessly to the point where it consumed your every thought and action that would be an addiction...

There could be some issues there but I wouldn't call it a sexual addiction. Maybe some self esteem issues, dangerous behaviors, restless behavior perhaps

Archived