How do you refuse to give someone your number?

LilBear
Chinese Conversation | Do you speak...
Chinese Conversation | Do you speak Chinese?

I have talked to a few foreign (male) students in school, mainly those asking for directions, and those asking which bus they should take to this or that place which usually leads to small, general chit chat.

Thing is, it is also the first time I've ever seen or talked to them (they initiated) and they almost always ask for my number, saying they would love to be friends. I am not comfortable with giving my number to guys I have just met, and don't feel a positive connection to. Also, the only guy I stupidly gave my number to, just to refrain from being rude, ended up calling again and again (I never picked up!)

I sometimes find that these foreigners overwhelming and that I have hardly anything in common with them and I don't really want to be friends! But how do I refuse to give them my number without coming accross as rude?

Thanks !

Tell them your (fake) husband wouldn't like it. Or tell them that you've lost your phone (providing they haven't seen it). Or give them a fake number (as long as you don't have your phone on you for them to test). Or just say you'd prefer to take their number and you'll call them. The possibilities are endless.

You could say "I'm sorry but I'm a really traditional girl who doesnt give my number out to people I don't know."

I always use that line and it's true for me & sounds like it'd be true for you. It sounds pretty dopey but after a while you feel a sense of pride saying that.

You could say "I'm sorry but I'm a really traditional girl who doesnt give my number out to people I don't know."

I always use that line and it's true for me & sounds like it'd be true for you. It sounds pretty dopey but after a while you feel a sense of pride saying that.

I agree with this. At least this reason does not make the other person feel like a fool. I don't like the idea of giving fake numbers..that is just insulting to the other person..and, you have no idea what number you are giving out which is not fair to the person who would be getting the call.

I've been known to give out quite a few fake numbers. I just add a different number to the last digit so that it sounds natural when I say it. Most of the times when I've given a real number to a stranger, I've also been harassed by phone calls (even some that are "Dimitri the Stud" style). It's probably not the most honest or respectful thing to do, but sometimes I fear what will happen if I say "no."

Never ever give out your number. This is what I do...I tell them that I am not comfortable giving out my number, but if they would like to give me their email address, I may contact them. That way if you want to contact them you can do it from a generic hotmail address to protect yourself.

Give them the number to Pizza Hut. They don't get to talk to you, but they are halfway to getting a tasty pizza. Win-win.

Hysterical.

You could either tell them you have a boyfriend or be straight up and say "I don't give my number out to people I've just met" ....the problem with that is if he's aggresive enough he'll just ask you out and hope you'll get to know him well enough to give him your number.

Give them the number to Pizza Hut. They don't get to talk to you, but they are halfway to getting a tasty pizza. Win-win.

ROFLMAO!!!!

To the OP, I agree that it is just best to keep it simple & general and say that you don't give out your number.

If you say that you don't give it out because you have a BF, fiance, or husband, you'll be surprised by how many people will still say "So what?" and still pursue the issue.

-Twisted world we live in....

God the same things happen to me and I've had the exact same problems as you! They pressure you into giving them your number and then call again and again, sometimes for months!

I tell them I have a boyfriend (which is true!) but they say "Oh but we can be friends still!" (which is obviously a bunch of crap) or "Oh I don't mind, it doesn't bother me". I try walking away and pretending to be in a rush but they keep following me and stopping me. Agh why can't some people take a hint!

I think the fake number is the best one and say you don't have your phone on you. Then hurry off because you're "busy".

I told a friend to do that when we were about fourteen, some guy was pestering her for her number she actually did!

I don't think I could ever do that. No matter how pushy or obnoxious the person asking is. It just seems so mean.

Be assertive and just keep saying that you don't give it out.

I know, I hate being rude to people, but the way I see it is that they're being mean by pressuring me like this when I am making it very obvious that I want to be left alone. I think they're being rude by possibley trying to get me to cheat on my boyfriend because I wouldn't have said anything about him if I was up for cheating. They're rude for following me down the street when I try to walk away. Therefore they don't deserve my politeness anymore if they won't listen.

Archived