Big city girl... Movin to a small town.

ay0_x

Hey guys.

I'm about to finish high school and I'm moving away for college soon. I finish school on the 13th of November and I'm basically moving straight away so I can find work & such.

I currently live in a city of around 4 million people. The town I'm moving to has 30,000 peopple so I'm expecting a major bout of culture shock, to say the least.

My main fears are : loneliness, racism, fitting in.

I don't know anyone in the town I'm going to, but it's the only place I can do my chosen course, so it's kind of non-negotiable. It'll be my first time living away from home.

I'm afraid that I won't fit in. The town I'm going to has mainly white people, & I'm a little scared of being rejected/isolated because of my race.

I'm also scared of just not being in a "city" atmosphere. I know that 30,000 is a pretty decently sized town, but I'm still kind of scared it'll be.. uh... Town-y.

Has anyone made a similar transition?

not quite the same...but i moved from a relatively major center to a tiny little town of about 5000 people. i've come to see it as a pretty cool life experience. are you going to be there long term? or just for the course?

takes a little bit of getting used to for sure...but there are definitely things that you'll grow to appreciate about a smaller town. there's a simplicity about it. i don't mean that people are dense or anything...just that the pace of life is different. people seem more alive. they're not constantly busy. cities seem full of busy people that are busy just for the sake of being busy.

you might find it a refreshing change of pace.

not quite the same...but i moved from a relatively major center to a tiny little town of about 5000 people. i've come to see it as a pretty cool life experience. are you going to be there long term? or just for the course?

takes a little bit of getting used to for sure...but there are definitely things that you'll grow to appreciate about a smaller town. there's a simplicity about it. i don't mean that people are dense or anything...just that the pace of life is different. people seem more alive. they're not constantly busy. cities seem full of busy people that are busy just for the sake of being busy.

you might find it a refreshing change of pace.

That made me feel a lot more hopeful, thank you

I don't know if I'm going to be there long term yet. The course takes 1 year, might take up to 2 if I decide to get a higher qualification.

Oh yeeeeahh.

The simple life. . .

Thats why I am planning on moving away from where I am in two months.

I jut can't stand living around too many people.

Give me a quaint little village anyday, where everybody sees you and gets to know you regardless of size, shape, age, gender or colour.

I have been in your position. I am in it. It was a huge transition for me to adjust because I was used to meeting all kinds of different people, finding more things to do, and places like McDonalds being so close...

Now all of that is all gone! Tough luck, but I've adjusted. It does take awhile. I've found things to do that I never did in the city like horseback riding and am meeting new people in it. Definitely try something new and you find very interesting people. Heh... you live only once.

The one thing I cannot stand about small towns is the gossip. They hold different values that mine and are extremely conservative; so if they don't like it they talk sh*t behind my back. I've caught it, but I don't let it bother me.

I can't exactly comment on the racism though since things are different in the US (where I'm from) than they are in Australia.

Archived