does smoking really make your voice deeper?

It will make your voice more raspy eventually, but not in a sexy way and it will also give you throat cancer.

I know a guy who lost his tongue to it and ended up eating through a feeding tube. Sexy.

I'm just editing this to add that he died. After not being able to eat properly for close to two years. Smoking also did the same thing to my granddad by giving him a stroke that paralysed his epiglottis so he was inhaling food onto his lung.

I've never smoked before, I just hate my voice, everyone makes fun off me because I have such a high pitched voice. My job entails me to talk on a mic all the time and someone actually put in a formal complaint about my voice saying that I sound like 'minnie mouse on helium' is there anything else that changes your voice?

Hey Samantha,

Actually, you can, and it's much safer and healthier than smoking. I work at a school that teaches singing, and a lot of the voice teachers do "vocal therapy" since speaking and singing are closely related. You might consider calling up a voice teacher at your local college and seeing if they can recommend you to somebody.

Vocal therapy (or speech therapy) focuses mainly on producing a healthier sound- it means you will get more resonance, but not necessarily a "deeper" sound. It's possible, for example, that you are speaking perfectly healthy and just have a very high pitched voice, but it's also possible that you aren't and you can get some more resonance. This will be up to the teacher to decide.

I don't think vocal training will make your voice deeper. Many people actually speak a lot deeper than they should be, so when they go to get voice therapy, they learn to speak in their natural range (which sits a lot higher). They could possibly help with resonance if you have a squeeky-sounding voice. You could always find a voice therapist and see if there is anything they can do to help you with your speaking voice.

I didn't know that. Though, a friend of mine told me that if I'm in a diet and wanna loose my appetite, I should smoke. Any comments on this guys?

Your friend isn't much of a friend.

So you're eating better to be healthier, but you want to take up smoking on the side in the meantime?

Smoking does somewhat suppress your appetite, but once you quit, your appetite goes back to normal.

Not worth it.

I vote you go the voice therapy route. But, I mean, there is only so much you can do. I'm a classically trained singer and have been singing for sixteen years and although you can tell I'm an alto when I speak, I also have a somewhat nasal voice when speaking--which I hate. I hate hearing my speaking voice on a recording or anything. But part of it is because I am from the south (howdy, y'all) and part of it is just how my nasal passage is, so there isn't much I can do about it. I guess I was just relating with that last part, haha.

Point, just consciously monitor your voice and it's tonality, which you can learn in voice therapy. Then you will be able to use your lower register for when you are on the mic.

Smoking is NOT the answer, yikes. I've lost seven people due to lung cancer and even brain cancer because of smoking. It's not the right solution for a high-pitched voice.

And smoking to lose your appetite is unhealthy for so many reasons. Not only because, um, you're smoking, but because losing your appetite is not healthy at all and is not the best method if you're wanting long to term weight loss and fitness.

I didn't know that. Though, a friend of mine told me that if I'm in a diet and wanna loose my appetite, I should smoke. Any comments on this guys?

I know this isn't a very polite comment, but it's the truth; the majority of smokers I've known have been, well, kind of chubby. Maybe American cigarettes are different though.

I know it leaves an after taste when one smokes. However, my aunt tried this before. She exercise, eats just soup and crackers in the morning and noon and after that time, when she gets hungry, she smokes. She did trim down. After she got the figure she wanted, she quit smoking. I don't know about my friend's slimming techniques. However, it does make them lose appetite in eating.

If the sound of your voice really bothers you, you should seak out a voice coach...they can show you how to train your voice and speak deeper. Cant cost anymore than a pack or 2 a day would....and you wont DIE!

Besides, people dont like kissing ash trays..makes your skin gross, your nails gross, your teeth gross, your hair gross (do I need to continue?)

Dont smoke...

I know it leaves an after taste when one smokes. However, my aunt tried this before. She exercise, eats just soup and crackers in the morning and noon and after that time, when she gets hungry, she smokes. She did trim down. After she got the figure she wanted, she quit smoking. I don't know about my friend's slimming techniques. However, it does make them lose appetite in eating.

Or she could have just chewed gum. Or any number of things that didn't include raising her risk of cancer and emphysema, fat in the arteries and heart disease.

If you're so desperate to be skinny you can't bring yourself to eat sensibly and exercise, well, go for it I guess.

I know this isn't a very polite comment, but it's the truth; the majority of smokers I've known have been, well, kind of chubby. Maybe American cigarettes are different though.

Back in the day, smoking was advertised for dietary reasons.

That's what got women into it. Most of the men got into smoking because, while in war, they were given free cigarettes as gifts from the cigarette companies. They said they were supporting our troups, they were really just getting potential buyers hooked for life so they could buy after the war.

The theory about smoking helping dieters is for emotional eaters or people who eat out of boredom. Take that cookie out of your hand and put a cig in it and you'll lose weight after this is done a certain number of times.

But, NOW. Smoking is often picked up by people who don;t really care about their health. So, smoking won't do a lick of good as far as losing weight to the people who eat horribly all the time.

Archived