I lost my job, but I feel relieved?

Rose21

I don't know if that's an oxymoron or what, but it's true.

2 days ago I lost my job. I had worked there for 3 months as a hostess at (The Rainforest Cafe) So I basically had worked the whole summer. But really, aside from my best friend working there the job hardly had any perks.

I was being harrased, being called names and mocked by how I looked and my medical problems. I was being told that everything was my fault and couldn't do anything right, even though I have worked in the resteraunt industry for 5 years and know what I was doing, I still got put down for SOMETHING. Nothing I ever did was good enough, even though I know it was.

There was tons of gossip, worse than high school. I didn't even have to deal with that back than because I wasn't in a group, I was friends with everyone. But there were alot of people that worked at this company and there was constant bickering, backstabbing, and gossip. To me it seemed like there was too much time for people to be doing this, yet I was getting complaints that I wasn't doing my job.

They basically fired me. They said they were going to have to "part company"

Really lame. I'm dissapointed I can't make money to get a car, which I need, but I do have quite a bit saved and more checks coming to me, I'm in Florida now for a week and when I get back I really just have one more week of summer until college starts up again.

I know I need a job, but going into this one was seriously making me mentally sick. I was much more sick than usual, working 9-14 hr days with only one 30 minute break inbetween, getting made fun of my medical problems, getting yelled at for having a drink, and my manager spying on me when I said I was throwing up to see if I REALLY was

Day in I would come in just wondering when I would get out, wanting to know what I would get yelled at this time, who would make fun of me, and than I would even have bad dreams.

I'm so desperate for money I was going to stay at a job like this, even though I couldn't stand it.

Is it bad that this job was lost? To me, I think to an extent everything happened for a reason. This wasn't meant to be, and I'll find something better. I've already applied at a few places, and it is the end of the summer and alot of people are going to go back to school and need people. Like me. I can work 20-30 hrs a week with school.

I just feel like a major bum without a job, even though I worked the whole summer and have only not had a job for 2 days and am now on vacation.

What do you think of this situation?

I just want a job that people can be mature at, and even if you don't agree with someone personally, atleast make an effort to be friendly/agreeable with them "professionaly" wise. Constructive critisism is fine, not blatant personal attacks though.

I just want a job thats professional where people can have fun and joke around, yet at the same time work together and help eachother out, without gossiping or tattle-telling over frivilous things....

Any suggestions?

I'm an adult, a young one at that, yet people I work with that are older than me sure don't seem that way. They seem like they are 16.

Study hard and excel in what your interests are. For example, if you're interested in creating web pages and communication and marketing, I would suggest something like Web Administrator for a profitable company. It is purely based on your talent and people in that atmosphere are mostly mature smart people who knows where their boundaries are.

I just want a job thats professional where people can have fun and joke around, yet at the same time work together and help eachother out, without gossiping or tattle-telling over frivilous things....

you are not going to find that in the restaurant industry. Lets face it most of the people that work in that industry either are college students(like you and me) or don't really have much of a career going on for them/never went to college. I speak from my own experience and I am not trying to generalize, but most of the people that I have come through while doing those jobs have been kind ignorant. They do not understand how to respect one another, and often try to be better and be show offs in front of other coworkers. The "managers" that work in these places, also feel very empowered to tell people below them what to do, and that aspect really pissed me off.

I am currently working a * * * * ty job kind of like the one that you described, but its in the hotel industry. I was thinking the same exact thing that you were about those people when i first started there, but now I just accepted the industry for what it is, and I just focus on making the most money I can while I am there.

Don't worry about getting fired, I'm sure you can find another job, because they are plenty of them available.

That's what I tried to do, but they let me go. Ugh.

I've worked in the resteraunt industry for a long time, and never have I faced people like this. I would LOVE to go back to my old resteraunt place because it had none of this and was quite small, but for that reason it wasnt doing well and alot of people got laid off. Including myself.

My interests are Criminal justice and writing. That's my major and minor. Getting a job as a police dispatcher would be GREAT and I know the people would be mature. But it took them 3 months to contact me last time, and I recently resubmitted my application and left a message a few days ago and have heard nothing. The recruiter is not only in charge of the dispatching applications but also ALL of the police aswell.

It would be GREAT To get a job working desk up front at an office or being a freelance writer. That would be an excellent job for me, one I know I'd be perfect at. But I highly doubt I could find anything like that with only being a sophmore in college.

Any suggestions?

I worked in the food industry for a while.

Between the catty waitresses, someone managing to spill beer on me every night, the nasty way people would leave their tables, me always being short tipped, and old perverted men...I will never work in the food industry again.

People are absolutely disgusting and inconsiderate when it comes to food. Unless I worked in a high class place, I wouldn't work at a restaurant again.

Hi Rose, sorry to hear that you lost your job, but hey if you are relieved that is a good thing.

Everything you have listed sounds very stressful and I know how you feel to a certain extent... My friend who got me the job I currently at was always telling me I am to slow or not doing this or that right, now I can take critisim pretty good but he was not offering up any advice or tips on how to fix these issues and he was the one training me. In my opinion the supervisor, trainer or whatever they are should offer up advice and tips to improve not just say comments like that and then the situation kind of be over. Do to this I suck at this part of the job, but I guess this Wednesday I will get to practice since I will be at the store all alone...

3 of the jobs I have worked have had gossip issues. People just love to spread rumors and talk behind others backs.... It is so annoying but I think some people just live on drama or being a part of it for they can say "FML" at the end of the day

I know I need a job, but going into this one was seriously making me mentally sick. I was much more sick than usual, working 9-14 hr days with only one 30 minute break inbetween, getting made fun of my medical problems, getting yelled at for having a drink, and my manager spying on me when I said I was throwing up to see if I REALLY was

If I was in your place I don't think I would want to work for at least a few days, well I mean go a few days or week before job hunting again. When I worked at that call centre to me it broke me, and since then I have struggled in and out of jobs... Wow only a 30 minute break that is awful... The only time I get a break is when I have to go to the bathroom. Yet the people I work with go out and have their smokes and since their rarely around I can't go on break until I can see them to tell them so. At our job we take a break when we please, ussually one 30 min break. Which is fine but I have yet to have one. I work at the cash plus clean the store, I can't just get up and go outside or try and eat out back if someone else is not watching the till, it is very annoying but I have gotten over it for the most part...

It is bad the job was lost for money reasons of course but I guess the only way to fix that is to find another job?

Well it is good to see you are motivated and have already applied to some jobs, wow even with school you still have 20/30 hours available. That doesn't seem to bad at all. It might take time but you def should be able to line up another job before school starts or so. I guess depending on the area to.

I'm not sure what to think of the situation to be honest, I think your a strong relibable person though to continue that job and put up with their BS, I am sorry you had to go through that, it does indeed suck. I can understand why you feel like a bum, I felt that same way when I was unemployed for a long period of time living off my savings. However, though you may need the money a short break might be good for you, plus summer is almost over so enjoy it while you can

In response to your other post....

I just want a job that people can be mature at, and even if you don't agree with someone personally, atleast make an effort to be friendly/agreeable with them "professionaly" wise. Constructive critisism is fine, not blatant personal attacks though.

Any suggestions?

I'm an adult, a young one at that, yet people I work with that are older than me sure don't seem that way. They seem like they are 16.

It is hard to find what you seek.... What you have desceibed is like the perfect work place though I have to see one. Well not 100% perfect but what you listed is how all jobs should be yet they are not.

My boyfriend for example works at Burgar King.... People talk behind each others backs, and some people don't work like at all unless they get yelled at. Some days their manager gets so mad he will send people home who are not working. Their rule though seems to be if you work you get more hours, if you stand around and do like nothing you get less hours.

I have had a few jobs where there was some minor professionalism and people were able to work together and help each other, but in the mist of this there always was that damn gossip and stuff... Which ussually only happened on breaks but still, it gets annoying fast.

I am not sure what suggestions to give even really high paying jobs probably have their share of crap that goes on to.

Once you are a bit older, graduate from college, and have a professional profession, those childish antics stop. I have never had that happen to me once I got out of "student" jobs and into the real workplace. When you love what you do, you never really work.

Yes, I would LOVE To find a job I truly loved.

Like when I worked at that Itallian resteraunt, if it was up to me I'd still be there!! But the company was, and still is doing very badly. Didn't even make $1000 on a saturday!

Yeah, I actually got a call from the police dispatcher yesterday! Now THAT would be a professional job where Im sure no drama would be. But yeah, he said everything on my profile checked out good and he'd let me know when a testing date comes up.

Also, Chilies I will check back in with when I get back in town "friday" and aswell as this one retail place that I tired at the beg of the summer, the manager said she'd be looking for people to work at the end of the summer, and that I'd be at the very top of her list.

I guess loosing my job came at perfect timing, because I went to Florida the day after I lost it! Lol than I have a week to job hunt before I go back to school, which is the 24th.

sometimes it gets better when you get away from food service and into something more formal.

i didnt like working in food because the quality of people was typically poor.

it was a more social environment etc... breeding grounds for crap.

i wouldnt worry about it. good riddance. but its another thing to consider when you apply for other jobs.

Yes, true.

I worked at White House Black market for nearly a year and that was a very upscale clothing store.

Not really any drama, but ONLY women worked there. Because it was around $80 for a t-shirt and in the suffering economy we were in, all the managers were in the hotseat, therefore putting ALOT of preassure on us. It was my first retail job, and although I hardly got ANY hrs (hence why I had a 2nd job) a week, I still managed to get a $1000 sale each week. I was good at selling, and the customers liked me. It was an environment I felt very comfortable in.

But the GM was a very snooty type, she would degrade me and rarely give me any feed back. I was in fulltime college and it was just alot of stress, no drama from co-workers but getting crap from the managers etc. I got so many sales, that they claimed I stole theirs! lol. They told me I was basically a waste of space.

So I quit, and stayed at the resteraunt job until I got laid off...It was 3 months before I got the Rainforest Job.

But that snooty retail manager, apparently got laid off and now works at a children's store.

Karma lol.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to point the finger, but there's always reasons for it to be other people's faults. Are you sure you are as top of a worker as you say? I ONLY point that out because I had the same mindset as you for a couple of jobs for a couple of years. Then, I realized, I was the one doing things that weren't up to par and I fixed the way I worked and presented myself with people and things have since gotten amazing.

Also, I don't know about Texas, but aren't there labor laws on 8 hour working days? If you work over that then overtime and longer lunch...you could sue if you have all the pay stubs. California is this way

Archived