Taking the Plunge

2shy2try

You've been standing at the edge of an ice cold swimming pool too afraid to get in for what seems like an eternity. You know the water will feel warm as soon as you immerse yourself and get comfortable, but fear of the initial cold and discomfort has been holding you back. However, all of your friends are in the pool and you hate feeling left out, so you decide you want to give it a go. You have two options: wade slowly into the shallow end or jump head first into the deep end.

If you choose the shallow end, it will be far too easy to pull back out when that first wave of cold hits you. When you do, you’ll be back where you started only even more aware of how cold the water is. Naturally it will then be awhile before you want to try again.

If you choose the deep end, there is no such quick and easy exit. You’ve taken the plunge and have accepted there's no turning back, so, rather than making a long, senseless swim for the ladder to get out, you start to ease into your new surroundings. Suddenly you have a much better chance of reaching the pivotal threshold where the water becomes warm and comfortable.

In case you're wondering what this is supposed to mean, it's just a metaphor for overcoming a phobia (such as shyness). I came up with it when I started thinking about how my latest attempt to defeat my own shyness compares to all my previous failed attempts. I thought it was worth sharing here.

Anyone here ever defeat their fear by taking the plunge? How did the warm water feel?

I never really took the plunge per se. I instead just went to the waters edge and went in, toes first.

Sometimes it isn't good to go in just like that. Some people need to be eased in. Instead of going to places by yourself, maybe it would be better to be going up to places with people and then meeting people instead.

That's what I did. I was shy to dating and such. It took me a while to just get the courage by talking with women.

Top 10 Tips For First Time Skydivers
Top 10 Tips For First Time Skydivers

Archived