effective parenting styles

besmomeve

I'm a new parent. And maybe when you are a new parent you get worried and concerned how good you are as a parent. I'm worried that I will not be the best parent. Can anyone advice me on what parenting styles are effective? I've read a lot of resources about parenting styles (link removed) like Authoritative, Authoritarian, Permissive and Neglectful. Also, what is child led parenting? I would appreciate if anyone can share their thoughts about parenting styles.

My suggestion? Put the books away for a while and just learn to know your child. They have their own personalities right from the start, and what works with one child often doesn't work with the next one. (I say this as the mother of two girls who have completely different personalities, since infancy.)

For example, my older daughter is shy and quiet, and it never took more than a stern word to discipline her, even as a toddler. But her younger sister is a little fireball with a quick temper, who's been arguing with me since she could speak. No way can you parent those two the same way!

I agree with Sunflour...no 2 children are alike...even if from the same set of parents, and based on that individual childs strengths and personality, parenting techniques differ...and you will learn to pick your battles thru trial and error.

how old is your child now?

Consistancy. Always be consistant with your child, have them on routines, mean what you say and enforce it no matter how much they resist, offer encouragement, positive attention, and teach values.

*Edited to add:

Remember that we live in the information age. ANY questions you have can be answered by professionals with a quick google search. Anytime you are ever stumped or unsure of what to do, use the internet as a guide or at least to get ideas.

I am a new parent too (5.5 months old) and what you (we!) are feeling is normal. I've read Baby411 and two sleep books although he has no problems sleeping, thank goodness. I wholeheartedly agree with the "first, know your child" that was posted - thanks for reminding me of that too! I also have been trying to be selective in what I read about child development/discipline/sleep because it's so easy to become information overloaded which isn't helpful for anyone.

good luck and congrats

Archived