just entered a long distance relationship....

DontMindMe

... and i feel great about it, there is the worry of will this last? how can i make this work? but over all i've never been better. He lives in a different country to me and i met him last year through a friend who introduced us. A week ago he came to England and spent a week with me and we concluded that we would try long distance. he had to go back to France after the week i was sad that he had to go but that's how it is right?

He's one of those corney romantic types which suits me fine, i got home after a week on holiday and i hadn't been able to talk to him all that week so i automatically turn on my computor when i came home and i find he's emailed me two love poems (who said romance is dead) it was cheesy but i loved it and he is emailing me two love poems a week.

i feel like i'm not making any loving gestures here like he is doing all the work he knows i care about him and i've never been good at writing lovey dovey stuff most of my writing consists of me being spiteful and sarcastic ranting about things that make me abit effy. but he knows that i struggle with finding the right words.

I think the idea of the thread (not only to share my joy of a new relationship) is to ask what i can do to show him i care to make sure he is not the only one making romantic gestures, with out being overally corney. also post a comment if you are in a long distance relationship i'm sure there are some on here. Any way thanks x

A friend of mine once said don't take it out on each other. The frustration of not being able to touch each other etc.

Personally, the thought of being in an LDR is appealing as i don't want a relationship. Well, not one that's wrong anyway

A friend of mine once said don't take it out on each other. The frustration of not being able to touch each other etc.

Personally, the thought of being in an LDR is appealing as i don't want a relationship. Well, not one that's wrong anyway

right, i think that a LDR is alot harder than a normal relationship and you have to be commited but i guess it's all to do with your personal preferance.

An ldr was good for me because I had just gotten out of a pretty bad relationship and wanted/needed time alone, to get myself together, but still had an incredible desire to move on and find the right man. The distance also forced me to work on insecurities that had developed over the previous two years. You can't be in a healthy ldr if your untrusting or needy. It was also refreshing to be with someone where sex wasn't a factor. It was based on friendship and true admiration. Now we're married and finally together... Well worth the wait!

My advice is to give eachother space, don't dig or try to find out everything he's doing, where he's going, call him constantly, etc. Best of luck!

An ldr was good for me because I had just gotten out of a pretty bad relationship and wanted/needed time alone, to get myself together, but still had an incredible desire to move on and find the right man. The distance also forced me to work on insecurities that had developed over the previous two years. You can't be in a healthy ldr if your untrusting or needy. It was also refreshing to be with someone where sex wasn't a factor. It was based on friendship and true admiration. Now we're married and finally together... Well worth the wait!

My advice is to give eachother space, don't dig or try to find out everything he's doing, where he's going, call him constantly, etc. Best of luck!

Thank you, it's nice to know that it worked out well for you. i agree there is no pressure of sex which i think makes the relationship between us stronger.

I use to be in an LDR which I thought was with the person I'd spend my life with but I can tell you it never worked out in the end. Mine was a bit more complicated than yours though so I really do hope your relationship works out for you. Here is just my slight problem with this guy: love poems (numerous ones) after a week of in person dating and few weeks of LDR? I don't know why, but this just sounds a little odd to me.

Based on my 2 years experience being in an LDR here are some tips for you:

1. make the appropriate time for each other

2. don't get ahead of yourselves only to get disapointed in the end

3. have a life outside of the relationsihp

4. make sure you have a mutual plan agreed apon for the near and far future

5. Learn to be very patient

In your case I would also suggest not investing your all into this guy at this point and keep your options open, at least for the time being. You don't want to pass up life's great opportunities until you are certain the two of you have a solid foundation for a relationship.

really good advice thank you, he knows i'm not into all the corney stuff and i'm used to dating older guys who are more butch and less caring who had one track minds and only cared for themselfs and i think i preferred that because even if i was cheated and used i love the chase it's something that i find thrilling trying to get someone, now i have someone without trying i missed the chase i've gone from one extream to anouther and with the love peoms i know what you mean the thought of it is a bit bleh but it is sweet i think i may get fed up of it but when i can't talk to him i think it's nice that i know he still cares and even if i told him not to send them he still would ( he doesn't write them they're famouse ones ( i think i'd cringe if he wrote them) )

Archived