Making friends in southern Oklahoma

cichlid
5 Signs of A Strong Friendship – ...
5 Signs of A Strong Friendship – Spotting A True Friend

I live in a relatively small city in southern Oklahoma. I would describe the population here a bit cliquish. I've never had too much of a problem making friends. I've found out that some people absolutely love being around me and others just don't. I'd describe myself as quirky but not odd.

Most my co-workers are married and don't tend to hang out too much outside of work. I also work in a male dominated industry...I'm a female by the way.

I live in a rather pricey complex (but I'll be moving out since I do not care for the neighbors I have and the excessive price of rent for this area). My neighbors are sort of mean and only talk to me if some drama occurs with my upstairs neighbor and I. Example, there was water coming from my ceiling and I called maintenance and there was a huge fight since the man refused to allow them to go up there to fix the problem. The neighbor ended up coming downstairs and demanding to see what was going on since he did not believe maintenance.

I made one friend quickly after I moved in but that friendship has since died a quick and painful death. I moved in and met the neighbor in the gym. We chatted in the gym several times. He saw me when I got back from the grocery and gave me his number. I didn't communicate with him for a couple of weeks but ended up eventually texting him. We had a fairly decent friendship. We had a lot in common and he had also struggled with making friends in this small city. Then interns came for the summer and he started hanging out with a Florida intern. He also somehow broke into a friend group at work and I was excluded. I went to work out yesterday and saw him for the first time in a month while he was hanging out with friends at the pool. I waved, he looked at me, looked away and ignored me. My BF theorizes that he wanted to sleep with me and left when he realized I wasn't going to.

Needless to say, I am feeling a bit lonely. I have plenty of friends in my hometown in central Oklahoma (which I visit every weekend) but where I live, I am left without a friend. On the plus side it makes me a very productive employee since I have nothing to come home to.

Is there something wrong with me? Or have I just not found the friend group for me?

The problem with you is that 'you don't care so much about the money' you mainly want to socialize with other people. And this is exactly what you cannot find in a small city.

To me you look more like a person who needs to be in the CITY , so for the sake of your personal happyness it in my opinion would be best if you would MOVE to Central Oklahoma City, it might be an extreme pain to find something to rent there but you will be a lot happier if you live where your friends are. That way you won't have to feel all alone in my opinion.

I talked to my BF about it and he told me about another female friend's struggle to find friends after she moved away after college. She is like me in that she isn't a girly girl so most women really can't get along with her too much because she does not share the same interests. She usually is one to make friends with guys (like me) but they all want to sleep with her since she is attractive. Anyway it's taken her well over a year to meet friends.

Archived