Do parents have a favorite??

Bella20

i hope this doesnt sound bad but... i've always found/felt that parents tend favor the boy. i know that has been the case with my exes and my current boyfriend. i doubt this means that they love one more than the other, though. i'm an only child too so i can only speak from observation.

I'm an only child too, so I can't know for sure. However...I have an aunt who adopted two boys about 15 years ago. A couple years later, she gave birth to her third son (her only biological child). Now, I don't care what you say...she absolutely favors her biological son. She wants nothing to do with her adopted sons most of the time, whereas she'd do anything for her biological son. She blames all of her problems (depression, etc.) on her adopted sons, but never places any of that blame on the biological one. So, there can be special circumstances that allow for a parent to favor a child. I think overall it's probably not common...but it just depends.

i'm kind of an only child. i'm the only child between my parents, but my dad has a son and another daughter. the son is definitely my dad's fav... because he's a boy. i would've been the absolute fav if i were a boy but too bad. my sister is the least fav, she's a girl and she takes after my step mom wayyy too much. loll

If you put two random people in a room you will probably lean toward one more than the other.

One of your children will probably have a personality that blends with yours a little or a LOT more smoothly than another. Doesn't mean you love one more than the other though. I get along with one of mine much easier than the other.

I really believe most parents do. I know for a fact my sister prefers her youngest son over her older son and daughter and she prefers her older son over her daughter..the daughter [middle child] is treated the worse, gets less attention, etc by her parents. It's sad but true.

I'm not being arrogant..but I'm the youngest [out of just me and my older sister who is 18 yrs older than me] and I know my mom and dad prefer me over my sister..by a LONG run..it's not fair..but it's true.

I've seen a lot of situations where it's the youngest that is the 'favorite'.

for the record.. I was just kidding...

but... I think it's a grave misconception that the youngest is the favorite... and yes, I am the youngest of three... I honestly think that after the second child, parents just get worn out. The first child is the practice kid.. sorry, but it's true.... but who else are the parents going to practice on? By the time the last child arrives, parents realize that maybe everything doesn't have to be so stringent..... and therefore it appears the parents favor that child.

for the record.. I was just kidding...

but... I think it's a grave misconception that the youngest is the favorite... and yes, I am the youngest of three... I honestly think that after the second child, parents just get worn out. The first child is the practice kid.. sorry, but it's true.... but who else are the parents going to practice on? By the time the last child arrives, parents realize that maybe everything doesn't have to be so stringent..... and therefore it appears the parents favor that child.

wow, I've never even thought of it that way..thank you!

reps!

One of your children will probably have a personality that blends with yours a little or a LOT more smoothly than another. Doesn't mean you love one more than the other though.

I totally agree!

I have 3 wonderful kids and I love them very much. I don't have a favourite.

My mother grew up hearing her own mother say all the time how she disliked having a daughter and that boys (she had 3) were much better to have. No wonder my mom was so dynsfunctional.

Every family is different, some parents should not be parents and some who want to can't.

I thankfully don't have such problems with my family, but my youngest sister has been more spoiled than us (the older kids). However, we all kind of spoiled her so it's not just a parent thing, she was the youngest and so we all catered to her.

One of my ex's had a similar problem. His mother did care more about his sister than him, and he knew this. From what I gathered it did upset him, but their family relations were pretty cold anyway between all of them.

My recent ex's mother cared equally for his sister and him.

Our parents treat us all equally, we're all pretty close with our parents.

Sure... I have a favorite child... and it depends on the day which one is the favorite! lol

LOL!!!!! That's hilarious.

My boyfriend's parents have always had issue with him and have always seemed to prefer his younger sister. He carries around a great weight about it, even telling me, "They love her more than they love me."

But the fact of the matter is - and it's funny that I can see it and he can't - that his parents ADORE him. I can tell that they treat him a little more awkwardly than they treat his younger sister, but that is ENTIRELY because he is the first child and they don't know how to react to all of these things that he's doing first: going through school, moving out, moving in with me, etc. Meanwhile, his little sister very much enjoys being the baby (she's 20 and she still even talks in a baby voice sometimes...*shudder*), and his parents roll with it because it's comfortable and they feel better about spoiling her when she's not as independent as he is.

I don't think they have a favorite, but they definitely have one that's more familiar!

• 2 weeks later...

Something that sticks out in my mind was what my Aunt once said to me when i was young. Maybe a teenager? I cant remember

It was probably very wrong of her to say it. Anyway. My sister is adopted, and she was adopted when she was 6 months old.

My aunt said to me " Your Dad loves your sister but you know he REALLY loves you"

And I did know it. Maybe thats half the problem with my hateful horrible sister.

Archived