new to forum and to self injury

breatheme5892

So I just started cutting earlier this week. I've had a history of eating disorders but I never thought about actually cutting myself until recently. I'm applying to college in the fall so I'm extremely stressed about that, my mother has been spending her summer drunk with her friends and acting like a fool, I'm about to be fired from my job, and The boy that I have been hanging out with has been ignoring me and just like every other pseudo-relationship I have been in I'm pretty sure it's over with him. This week I've just been really overwhelmed and I needed some relief. I binged and purged one day but it didn't make me feel better so instead I cut myself. Like many of you have said, I felt so clear. I cut my wrists yesterday and tonight I cut my hips. I need to stop this behavior before it gets serious because I know from experience that when I create habits like this it completely takes over my life. Should I talk to my therapist about this? If I do I know she'll tell my mom which I don't want.

You should stop that behavior by any means, whether by therapist or sheer force of will, that is NOT good behavior at all.

Cutting is a sign of suicidal tendencies and it is ILLEGAL to NOT report it to the authorities, which is why a therapist has to report you if you tell them. Either way, please please please don't cut yourself. There are much better ways to release than that.

Try Yoga or Meditation. I find those to be very helpful personally.

When I was alot younger I went though a time where I also did that. I know how much better it can make you feel. The better though is just very false because you really did not solve the problem. I seen a psycologist for many years to learn other ways of dealing with problems. I can't say what will work for you but me I took up painting. I don't do anything with painting now, but when i was younger it made alot of difference. Trust me this is not something you want to do. I still have the scars that remind me all over my arms and legs. Not only will you hate to see them you will have to go through the rest of your life with people possibly asking where all the scars came from. I said I accidently feel into a barb wire fence. lol.=)

Cutting is a sign of suicidal tendencies and it is ILLEGAL to NOT report it to the authorities, which is why a therapist has to report you if you tell them.

I'm pretty positive this isnt true. Therapists are there to help you get through things, not betray your trust, and anyway, cutting is not necessarily a sign of suicide.

You should just get really clear with ur therapist on what their limits of confidentiality are and then go from there.

I definitely don't think I'm suicidal. If anything I'm just trying to find a way of living that works for me. But I'm scared that by telling people they'll think that I am suicidal. Also my therepist has told me before that she is legally obligated to tell my mom if I hurt myself or others or am contemplating doing so. So this would most likely fall under that category. Does anyone have other coping mechanisms? I'm not really artistic so that's out of the question...

Welcome!

Yes, stop now, each new cut could be likened to another sip of liquor. Honestly, I do not believe that I even want to stop (yet, I know that I very much should!).

This site (and the links to others that are in it) can be a great resource! Although a significant number of suicidals have cut, very few cutters are suicidal - that is a popular assumption, but, it is also an uninformed misconception of the typical reasons behind cutting (although, IF you DO start to feel that way....).

Try some of the ideas out, you can always talk to a professional if nothing helps (just like you'd talk to a doctor if a pain in yor shoulder wouldn't go away - right??). Also, try to keep the conversation going with forums such as this, since they have communities of people who may well understand.

Good luck! Stay strong!

I'm pretty positive this isnt true. Therapists are there to help you get through things, not betray your trust, and anyway, cutting is not necessarily a sign of suicide.

You should just get really clear with ur therapist on what their limits of confidentiality are and then go from there.

Sorry I should clarify, I live in Canada, and any self-mutilating or harmful tendencies and/or desires must be reported to the authorities by law; at least here. Confidentiality has nothing to do with it, it is a law here to help prevent cutters from accidentally (or intentionally) harming/killing themselves or others.

Hey. Welcome to the forum. People here are very nice and helpful and it's a good place to be. Cutting becomes an addiction very quick...it's very hard to stop once you've started. But the best thing to do is have people to talk to. Even if it's just one person. You have to talk to somebody about it, somebody who understands and who won't only try to get you to just stop, you know what i mean (i hope you do that was confusingly worded)? When you have someone to talk to it kind of falls into place (in addition to doing something like sports to distract your mind).

Yeah I know exactly what you mean.. I'm already discovering how addicting this is (a show was just on that dealt with cutting and I couldn't resist the urge to cut myself). And I also know what you mean about having someone to talk to. I had a problem with bulimia not too long ago and I felt like I could confide in my best friend but she betrayed my trust so I don't feel comfortable talking to her about this. I don't know of anyone fled who I can talk to... Which is part of the reason why I joined this forum.

Hi there, and welcome to enotalone!

Yes hun, that is very sensible, and so true. These behaviours do take over your life, and take the control from you.

I would talk to your therapist, and there is no guarentee she will tell your mum.

Its not as simple as just ''using force of will to stop''! Cutting is serving a purpose in your life atm, the question is to identify the emotions behind the cuts, what pain is it dealing with?

*Hugs* xxx

• 2 months later...
Cutting is a sign of suicidal tendencies and it is ILLEGAL to NOT report it to the authorities, which is why a therapist has to report you if you tell them..

ok, this statement is completely UNTRUE!!! i have been cutting for 3 1/2 years. therapists don't have to tell your parents unless they believe that your life is at risk. i do agree that you should stop cutting asap because it is an extremely addictive habit. cutting does not mean you want to kill yourself, although it can lead to suicidal thoughts if you are depressed. it is not illegal and you don't have to report it to the authorities.

Archived