steve11

So nearly three years ago I was in a class with a sweet girl, and always wanted to ask her out. But, I didn't, because I was leaving school, and moving to new jobs and so forth. We never really hung out socially, other than the fact that we worked on a project together and bonded and flirted.

Well I have moved back to the region for a new job, grad school etc ...

I am single and looking, as my relationship from my last location ended months before I left. So, I sent an e-mail saying, in effect, hey, i'm back in town after two years. Maybe if you still do stand-up comedy I could check it out.

She replied and said she didn't do stand-up comedy anymore, but would like to meet anyway. We exchanged e-mails, and we are going to meet for a drink or a meal or something. It is funny; we never hung out socially before, but I sensed attraction and flirtation that never went anywhere for logistical reasons.

Anyway, any advice on how to approach this? I would like to have a "date" as it were, and see hot it goes. Should I be clear about this ahead of time? Or should I wait to meet, see if there is chemistry flirtation (make sure she is single!) and then explain I am interested in going out on an actual date?

Sounds like a date to me, but just keep in mind that from her perspective, it might just be old friends catching up. But I doubt it. I'm sure she's just as excited about this as you are. Don't make anything clear beforehand. There's no need to bring it up in a formal conversation with her, that just makes things awkward. See how she acts, and respond accordingly. Kick the flirting up a notch and see how she reacts.

Really though, don't explain that you want to take her out. If things go well, be like "We should do this again sometime," at the end of the night. If you hang out again, it's definitely a date.

Archived