My Mother Has a Tumor.

Tonight, my mother confessed to me that all of her doctor visits over the past year was because she was getting treated for a tumor in her brain. For some reason, I was emotionless to it, and still am. Heck when I came home I was happily playing with the dog and my sister. It was like my mother told me we ran out of milk...

She told me it's not cancerous, so it's nothing serious. It is implanted in her head. In the past, she has not recieved her period for 3 months straight, and even the hairs on her legs and armpits stopped growing. She thought she was suffering from menopause, but now we all know the truth.

I forgot what's the name of the tumor, she told me but I guess maybe you guys can tell me. Haha... for my reaction, again, I'm still emotionless. Maybe the news didn't hit me yet, who knows...

I just want to know how can I support her? How can I be there for her when she needs me? Has anyone have personal experiences with tumors and cancer? Thank you for reading.

Several people in my family have been treated for tumors, some malignant and some not, some brain and some not. I suggest you let her know you love her and will do whatever you can to support her. Let her know you are open to her sharing with you how she's feeling.

Several people in my family have been treated for tumors, some malignant and some not, some brain and some not. I suggest you let her know you love her and will do whatever you can to support her. Let her know you are open to her sharing with you how she's feeling.

Thank you waveseer. She is the kind of woman who stresses about things way too much for her own good, so I think I should help her way more around the house and be her "therapist" if you may, lol.

Oh my God! My thoughts will be with you. I am hoping that everything turns out okay, as you know I had a tumor, but everything has turned out okay so far! I am wishing the same for your mother!

XxX

Awww thank you hunny! That really touched me and I appreciate it so much. My mother told me that she is taking medication so she should atleast be okay. I am hopeful for the tumor to go away soon.

Fingers crossed....hope your mother has a speedy recovery. Don't be hard on yourself about the apparent lack of emotion. Sometimes you just get so shocked that your body seems to deny itself the chance to express what you are feeling. You may find later on that you will encounter these feelings, or maybe when it is all over.

I just want to know how can I support her? How can I be there for her when she needs me? Has anyone have personal experiences with tumors and cancer?

Yes, I have more experience than I'd like with brain tumors. My dad died of brain cancer last year.

The first thing you can do--after thanking God or whatever you believe in that her tumor is benign!--is ask her about the type and location of the tumor, and also what treatment her doctors have been pursuing with her. Even with a benign tumor, having a growth in your brain is a very frightening thing. So the more you can understand her condition, treatment, medication(s), etc., the more supportive you can be.

Ask her if she'd like you to come along for doctor appointments. It's very stressful to be a brain tumor patient, so it helps to have another person along to ask questions, take notes, etc.

I have a lot of links to brain tumor information that I can post for you, but it's best if you know exactly what kind of tumor it is first.

Archived