If the belt hadn't broken, he'd be dead.

havefaith

Last night I heard some crashing around in my 17 year old brother's bedroom. He has always been troubled, for as long as I can remember. The problems run the gammit, from behavioral problems in middle school to running with the wrong crowd as a freshman to wildnerness camp for substance abuse as a Junior.

After thinking to myself that it sounded like he was trying to get out the window, I approached his room in time to hear a crash followed by heavy panting and gasping for air. When I threw the door open he was lying on the floor outside his closet, broken belt around the neck, burn marks and a few cuts on his neck, sweating profusely.

The rest is a blur but I got my mom up and I, after calling a suicide hotline, called 911. He is large and obstinate and I knew he wouldn't go quietly. Unfortunately for my family we got stuck with a pig of a cop who was short, bald, fat and had something to prove of course. My brother cursed him repeatedly and long story short he was taken to a squad car in cuffs.

My family spent the night in the hospital and eventually me and my other brother returned home; my mother and father are still there. Trying to figure out what's next is like trying to put a puzzle together with pieces you don't even have. I think he's heading to an inpatient hospital but it wouldn't be longterm.

I know he can't stay here and that's the point I'm trying to drive home to my parents, who love him more than words and, although they try to be iron fisted, tend to cave to his lies, excuse making, and false hope.

Is there anyone out there who knows what we do next. If he dies I won't have a family anymore. I don't care if I never see him again, I just am trying to avoid one of us walking in on his dead body one day and destroying the rest of our lives.

Please help, and keep in mind we've tried hundreds of millions of things already, such as changing schools, sending to rehab, compassion, punishment, love, etc.

Oh my god... i am so sorry that this happened to your family... the bright side is he was saved.... for some reason, the belt broke and he was spared.... it sounds like he should be committed to an inpatient psych ward for a while. get some meds if needed readjusted or started.. counseling... what a sad story.... dont give up on him.. sounds like he really needs professional help. i would push to have him hospitalized....

Good luck and god bless..

I have some experience with suicidal people and I can tell you one thing, the person has to want to change and they have to be able to change. One friends son went through every possible treatment including shock treatment and it didn't solve his problem.

Your brother has been given a second chance at life. As painful as it is for family and friends someone needs to tell him that he might not get a third chance.

• 2 weeks later...

i....i understand him.....i agree with metwo...i was...in a way like your brother...the difference was that i had 2 make myself understand some things...even if i still try 2 suicide sometimes......i do that coz.....all i feel is angry....n hate...n i don.t know how 2 deal with that...so the best 4 him is 2 be there with uh...he will find himself....sooner or later.....take care of him and of you

Archived