Ladies, are you...

Bartok

...intimidated by height?

Just wondering. Reason is that I'm 6'5" (around 200 lbs), and try to appear friendly, but everybody seems so stand-offish to me for some reason. I'm trying to figure out if it's my height (which has been an issue in the past), or if it's something in my body language, or if people are just stand-offish in general.

I guess I could expand on this question - what causes you to be intimidated by a guy? Physical features, mannerisms, anything at all.

I'm around 5 ft 2, so looking up at a guy who's your height might make me feel a little shy lol, but definitely not stand-offish. I just remember hugging one of my guy friends who is also very tall (probably close to your height), and i felt like a little kid at that moment I wouldn't say that height intimidates me very much in general, though.

i have a crush on this guy, but he's too tall. it makes me feel a little weird. he's probably 6'5? idk, my ex was 6'1 and it was kinda awesome because with heels, i'm like 5'10ish. but without heels, he was too tall for me. can't imagine 6'5 guy... ahh... awkward.

but no, not intimidating. i find his friend, who is like 5'10 more intimidating than he is. lol

Women like a guy who is tall, everyone knows that. There are guys women like who are short, I know a couple. If you don't smile a lot, people will think you're a snob. Also, if you don't talk, or if you look at your watch a lot.

The taller the better, as far as I'm concerned. 6'5 200 sounds yummy! Of course, if you're that height and don't smile, scowl, lurk around and act aggressively, it would be intimidating. But if you're walking around with a smile on your face, not at all!

I get the same thing. I'm 6'6" / 275, and everywhere I go people are always staring at me like I'm a threat. I can walk into anywhere public and for the first 10-15 seconds after I walk in I can look in any direction and see multiple sets of eyes locked on me. I have a deep voice too, and I've had people in the past tell me that my size intimidates them. Smiling usually doesn't yield any results, but there are some random people who will return a smile every now and then.

Oh God NO!!! 6"5, 200 #? Hmmm...sounds just about perfect...and i'm only 5"4

I would probably prefer you with a few more pounds tho...maybe 220. But I like my men big...

I wouldnt think you would be intimidating. I would think woman would want you to throw them over your shoulder and drag'em home!! LOL

Nope, I LOVE tall guys! You're actually probably pretty thin if you're only 200lbs at 6'5". I'm something like 5' 7 1/2", so put me in 3" heels and I'm nearly 5'11"! Not that I wouldn't find a shorter man attractive, but I definitely feel much more comfortable with a tall man because they make me feel tiny and attractive. Make sense?

I'm a tall guy and girls always say I'm too tall. Sometimes when I try to talking to a girl she will yell at me like I'm some huge tree. I'm not even that tall, I'm only 6'1". In fact, most of the guys who I know who are ladies men are shorter than the average height. I don't know any guys my height who are really good with women.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Women like a guy who is tall, everyone knows that. There are guys women like who are short, I know a couple. If you don't smile a lot, people will think you're a snob. Also, if you don't talk, or if you look at your watch a lot.

I feel fake if I smile alot, and I'm pretty sure most people can see right through a fake smile - but I try to keep at least a half-smile on at all times to counteract the naturally pissed-off look I have (even though I'm not!). I don't talk alot because I'm an introvert (but I don't stay completely silent), and I don't wear a watch anymore because I used to look at it too much

I am on the thin side (but not a scrawny weakling), I tend to be relaxed and laid back most of the time, I've got a deep voice, and I know I'm reasonably good looking (based on a few extremely positive responses I've gotten from women) - but for some reason most people just don't seem to respond to me that well. I'm still struggling to figure out what the problem is.

I'm 5'3 and I never had a gf yet. I know my height plays a factor.

Well, I've never had a girlfriend either, and I started this thread

I wouldnt think you would be intimidating. I would think woman would want you to throw them over your shoulder and drag'em home!! LOL

Hah, if only. The only time I get good comments about my height are in my swing dance class, where it's a hindrance more often than it's a help.

Well, at least I know that whatever's wrong with me is something I can control. I just can't figure out what the hell it is

I have to go against the status quo and say yes I'd be intimidated. But if you're on the thinner side, I guess I wouldn't be as intimidated as I would be if you were huge and muscley. I'd be scared as hell lol

When it comes to tall guys I don't think it's the height so much that can be intimidating as the fact that your personality just seems that much bigger. You said you look angry a lot even when you're not? That could be a factor. You sound a lot like a friend of mine who is very tall but also very socially awkward and quiet. He hunches a lot, doesn't go out much, and you have to pry words out of him when you first meet him. He comes off as very stand-offish even though he's a real sweet guy when you get to know him. However, my first boyfriend was 6'5" (I'm 5'5") and he was the most likeable guy I've ever met. He was smart, funny, talkative--everyone liked him. Thinking back, he was probably just like any other guy, but since he was tall his personality just seemed bigger. I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you're taller, more people will notice you in a crowd. Therefore whatever face or mood or personality you're exuding, even though it's the same as everyone around you, it will seem much bigger to strangers. It can be both a curse and a blessing, you just have to learn to work it to your advantage.

I know it's a big cliche and doesn't really help, but if you're self-conscious about your height really the best thing to do is just let it go and be yourself. That's all anyone can really expect anyway and you'll find yourself being happier and less worried about what others think. I mean, you can't do anything about how tall you are and people are either going to like you for who you are or they're not. The best thing to do is to just get out there and expose yourself to as many people as you can and someday you'll run in to someone who doesn't find you standoffish at all.

...intimidated by height?

Just wondering. Reason is that I'm 6'5" (around 200 lbs), and try to appear friendly, but everybody seems so stand-offish to me for some reason. I'm trying to figure out if it's my height (which has been an issue in the past), or if it's something in my body language, or if people are just stand-offish in general.

I guess I could expand on this question - what causes you to be intimidated by a guy? Physical features, mannerisms, anything at all.

Height...not really. I've always dated guys about a foot taller than me.

Weight...maybe. But you sound as if you are in the normal range. Some of my university's football players scare me to death.

Mannerisms, yes. If you like to talk with large hand motions or have a tendency to talk loudly, it'll alarm me. But, it just takes some getting used to. The hand motions are more forgivable than the loudness.

I'm small and dislike being stepped on. Just be observant.

I know it's a big cliche and doesn't really help' date=' but if you're self-conscious about your height really the best thing to do is just let it go and be yourself.[/quote']

I'm not too self-conscious about it - just going through the list of things that could be causing me problems, so that I'm at least aware of them and can adjust myself accordingly. I really do think I have alot going for me - my height is one of those things. Your point about it magnifying my personality is a good one. Fairly often, I get comments on how quiet I am - I am relatively quiet, and I don't see anything wrong with it even though everyone else does - but ultimately, I know that's what's holding me back. Those who have actually tried to get to know me really enjoy my company, but the vast majority seem to get the wrong impression at first. One of my best friends thought I hated him when we first met, simply because I was satisfied with being silent while riding shotgun in his car. I've been telling myself to go out and chat up random strangers to try and change this, but the funny thing is... THEY DON'T WANT TO TALK ANYMORE THAN I DO! Yet I'M apparently the only quiet weird one? Even before I was trying to change I was more responsive to strangers than most people I've tried to talk to. Whatever. The world doesn't make any sense.

Most annoying thing about height is all the height-related questions and jokes you get. As though they think they're actually being clever I guess it is an easy thing for them to comment on.

I'm small and dislike being stepped on. Just be observant.

Hah, funny story time.

I'm leaving an amusement park, we have to be somewhere soon so we are walking briskly. I'm looking off to the right for a second or two, then suddenly, BAM! I hit something with my knee. Look down and see a little asian kid flying back about 4-5 feet and hitting the ground. I squat down and make sure he's OK, then look up to his dad behind him. He just shrugged, grabbed the kids hand, and walked off. Little kids get in my way ALL THE TIME and they're always hard to see, especially when I'm looking off to the side for a second.

But I doubt you're that short... you're probably safe.

Archived