Online learning

Mavh25

Hi all, was wondering if there was anyone here who had/has any experience with an online school.

I was looking to enroll with Penn Foster online school but I have no clue, I don't know if you can even be conned by this sort of thing.

Is it legitimate? will your diploma be a recognised qualification of some format? why is it so cheap? the one I want is just a career diploma (is that even a good recognised thing within the working world?)

but its only 798$ and I've never been to school in America before (i'm from the UK) so I don't know what to expect atall and don't really understand how it all works.

What if the course is'nt for me half way through? i doubt that'll be the case but then what?

How dya take exams? what does it mean when it says "study online" is'nt that just sitting on the site all day long readin stuff? is that really a good way to be taught? I'm worried thre is no kind of discipline you know?

Thanks for reading, any info would be brill.

I've never been in an online only college, but right now I'm taking all of my classes from a community college online. It saves me gas, and time driving to class. It also allows me to do my work on my own time, instead of going to class, and then having to study separately apart from the hours I would spend weekly inside of a classroom that I could teach myself much quicker at home.

I'm pretty sure they're legitimate, the classes are usually much more challenging because they are all based on your personal work ethic towards learning the material.

Sometimes you might have to order books online, some other classes might have notes/slides online that you'll get information from.

Exams sometimes require you to go to a testing center, where you'll tell them which class you're taking at the certain time to take a midterm or final etc... But lately at my school, they're testing centers must be getting too crowded, so they actually administer the exams online. What they do though, in order to combat cheating, is put a very short time limit on the exams. If you go over the time limit, then they will take half of your grade(at least in this class). This makes is so if you don't know an answer(or a lot of answers), then you don't have the time to look up the answers in your notes or books.

I like them honestly, because I like teaching myself, that and I don't like getting up early to go fall asleep in classes because I work every evening. It's up to you though, hopefully this helped.

Some online colleges are excellent!!! Some are not worth one tenth the money you pay. Google the college, not their webpage, but get reviews of the validity of the school. I've done online learning, but it was in conjunction with attending other classes in a physical classroom. University of Phoenix is one college that employers either love or hate. Just do you homework before you enroll. I've never done online learning unless it was a class from a college I was physically attending. It's too dicey for me.

My uncle got his degree (a double major...business and accounting) online from a University in New York. I dont remember the name, but I know that they all flew there for his actual graduation. He got the cap and gown and walked accross the stage. I dont think it gets any more "realer" than that! lol He did the whole 4 year degree, too.

Archived