Video Games Obsession

leemarie903

Yes. My ex husband didn't work or do anything after we got married except play those damn video games. It caused every problem in our marriage, and therefore he is now my ex... The obsession itself was caused by depression but I'd gotten so sick of it by the end that I refused to even try to fix it with counselling or anything else. Obsessions are usually caused by some sort of psychological problem like depression, anxiety, ADHD... The underlying problems need fixing... and the obsession can only die down once those are fixed. I recommend having him see a psych... People don't just obsess on things for no reason.

I once dated a guy that was very into WoW? At first I found it endearing and played along with him. Later I despised him for it and it caused us to break up.

Funny thing is now I play WoW on a consistent basis, and actually enjoy doing it with a bunch of friends.

I looooove video games and role playing games... But there's that fine line between love playing, and obsessing lol... I think her man (and your ex and mine) were seriously at the point of obsession...

i've been addicted to video games since i was 5, so i had no idea but games stole away my life. And i didn't notice till way too late,

What you need to understand is that game designers don't care if you throw away your life , they only want to earn money from you, they don't care if your relationship fails, or if your school grades collapse,

After i realised that, and that 'you don't win anything with these games' , it had to be throw on the other rotton pile of addictions like drug or alcohol addictions, they take away your life too. I don't want to take anyone's pleasure away, the games however have to go out of your life. You shouldn't only do things in your life that 'gain' you something, you don't gain or win anything from games, only keep yourself busy with things that are relevant to your life.

Oh please Xetra Dax! You are seriously blaming it on the companies?

All they do is supply you with entertainment, it is completely up to how you manage your time with them. I play video games, I love them really, but I have no trouble stopping for people. I like watching TV shows, but I don't let that get in the way of my social life either. If you are actually medically addicted, then it probably goes beyond video games. If it wasn't that, it would be something else.

I dated a GIRL* who was obsessed with Everquest 2. She played basically everyday after work during the week (and then saw me on weekends). She used to say she wasnt obsessed but cmon...she was. The only ISSUE I had with it was when I called her during the day to ask her something or just chat, she would be playing and be so enveloped in the game that she would not really be listening...

The problem is not the game, it's the person playing it. Usually we blame games or companies behind it because we refuse to see the truth.

But it's true what Dax said: Some games are made in a way that will keep you addicted. The example with Wow is that you can't beat the game. But then again, alot of people can manage their game time. That brings us back to the first conclusion: Peoples fault.

There is one thing that is funny tough: There seems to be a whole taboo around gaming addiction, like if people were ashamed of it. Probably because you get labelled as a geek, nerd or any other ... People laugh alot at gamers like if it was supposed to be for children only.

But they forget that they are themselves addicted to other things like smoking, drugs, sex, ... But I guess some of those addictions make you look more "cool" then gaming ^^

I used to play WoW when I was 17.. for about 9 months I was playing it constantly..

Lan parties etc at my house drinking brews..good times..made aload of friends round europe who I meet up with for more parties

But you tend to forget about the real world and the people you affect, someone even died because they didn't sleep! ( some boy in korea I believe

In china they have limited the amount of time you can play the game to like 3 hours a day..

I had a healthy relationship and completely screwed it over because I was playing WoW and smoking far too much weed while playing, and what did I get from it..

failed my studies at the time as I never showed up..

Then one day I was like '' What the hell am I doing'' sold my Account for like 500 euros or something silly b4 the expansion came out.. and now I am living a good life..

From that moment on I can't play computer games for long periods of times.. as you achieve nothing.. Unless it's Online poker then thats another story..

Ironically the girl I was in the relationship with plays WoW now.

I tried dating a girl back in January who was completely addicted to WoW. Addicted to the point that she wanted me to start playing again on her server so we could spend time together, since she didn't want to see me except once a week for a date... which she tried to rush to get home and play WoW.

After a month, she decided to choose WoW over me because I took too much of her time away from the game.

Kind of ironic... I'm a gamer myself and have played games since I was 2, and doubt I'll ever stop. However, I vowed at a young age that I'd never let games come between me and something important... and I consider a potential GF to be very important.

Anyone blaming a game company for screwing up their life has some serious victimization issues. If you get in an accident, do you blame the car manufacturer? If you smoke a cigarette, do you blame the tobacco manufacturer? Sheesh - games are entertainment!

That being said, I love to play games. Sometimes I'll play for 3 hours in a day, sometimes I won't play for a week or so. But it usually averages out to about an hour or two a day. If I have something that has to get done, however, the games get shut off. And when I'm in a relationship, I think I end up playing less than an hour a week. It's important to know where your priorities lie.

The way to end video game addiction.. plan activities together to do outside the house. like going to the mall, watching movies, playing basketball, hikes.. Anything that can get him out the house. I was addicted to wow for awhile now I don't play anymore.

How did you break your addiction to WoW?

If I had a bf, I probably wouldn't play WoW a lot. I do it to while away the time, and to spend time with my friends who are big "WoW" heads.

If I had a bf, I probably wouldn't play WoW a lot. I do it to while away the time, and to spend time with my friends who are big "WoW" heads.

Playing basketball and going out with friends. I realized after not playing wow for awhile how boring the game really is..

Well embarrassingly I was once addicted to WoW at one point in my life, and I actually had to uninstall it from my computer to get passed it lol. Phew! Rough times. XD

I came accross a game called Final Fantasy 7 once.

I lost a month of my life to that stupid game.

After that I felt I should never place games infront of someone.

WoW is one of those game I don't even think of going near.

Cyber crack.

That game is awesome. One month of your life is a worthy sacrifice to play that game.

Archived