The duck with the human mind

90_hour_sleep

i'd like to share this little excerpt.

THE DUCK WITH THE HUMAN MIND...

"...after two ducks get into a fight, which never lasts long, they will separate and float off in opposite directions. then each duck will flap its wings vigorously a few times, thus releasing the surplus energy that built up during the fight. after they flap their wings, they float on peacefully, as if nothing had ever happened.

if the duck had a human mind, it would keep the fight alive by thinking, by story-making. this would probably be the duck's story: "i don't believe what he just did. he came to within five inches of me. he thinks he owns this pond. he has no consideration form my private space. i'll never trust him again. next time he'll try something else just to annoy me. i'm sure he's plotting something already. but i'm not going to stand for this. i'll teach him a lesson he won't forget." and on and on the mind spins its tales, still thinking and talking about it days, months, or years later. as far as the body is concerned, the fight is still continuing, and the energy it generates in response to all those thoughts is emotion, which in turn generates more thinking. this becomes the emotional thinking of the ego. you can see how problematic the duck's life would become if it had a human mind. but this is how most humans live all the times. no situation or event is ever really finished. the mind and the mind-made ''me and my story'' keep it going.

we are a species that has lost its way. everything natural, every flower or tree, and every animal have important lessons to teach us if we would only stop, look, and listen. our duck's lesson is this: flap your wings---which translates as ''let go of the story''---and return to the only place of power: the present moment."

Sometimes if you let it go, you get burned much, much worse. I always stay on alert. I see you made the duck female. How sad. Both sexes do this. It's human nature. We are humans, not ducks. If we swim away like that, often people come back and take a second swing at you. I have learned to never allow that second swing.

Sometimes if you let it go, you get burned much, much worse. I always stay on alert. I see you made the duck female. How sad. Both sexes do this. It's human nature. We are humans, not ducks. If we swim away like that, often people come back and take a second swing at you. I have learned to never allow that second swing.

lol...the author made the duck female. it could be either or...obviously.

is it human nature? or conditioned human response that we assume to be normal because we see it all around us?

is it your problem if someone takes another swing?

but you're right...we're not ducks. can you imagine a world where we were ducks? where we didn't continue to perpetuate pain? where we truly were able to allow pain to dissolve? it's probably impossible to imagine...because it represents a complete and total shift in human consciousness. it threatens who we are. it's pretty natural to become defensive when you're under a presumed threat. is it any wonder we live in a world of almost constant violence?

there is something to learn from the ducks.

Past pain can be an instructive reminder, the trick is letting go of the right things.

It also lost me when it suggested that we as a species have lost our way. I just find statements like that arrogant because it presumes that we had a right "way" but just strayed. Too many people who say that are peddling their own "way". Personally, I think we are still finding our way, and you can't get lost when you don't know where your going.

Past pain can be an instructive reminder, the trick is letting go of the right things.

It also lost me when it suggested that we as a species have lost our way. I just find statements like that arrogant because it presumes that we had a right "way" but just strayed. Too many people who say that are peddling their own "way". Personally, I think we are still finding our way, and you can't get lost when you don't know where your going.

that is a GREAT point.

• 3 weeks later...
I like the story and image. I don't know where I read it before.

More thoughts about ducks (as metaphors?): water rolls off their backs, they swim AND fly, their kids follow them, and they fly south for the winter, those lucky ducks! ;-)

love the ducks. they've got it figured...as do most other animals. so much we can learn from them. animals are generally at peace.

it's eckhart tolle, by the way.

Oh, yes, "A New Earth"?

I know a couple of people whose favorite pets have been ducks. I only know ducks from afar, so can't say if they are all bound to act like ducks. However, one of my cats acts like a horse, a dog, a person, and sometimes like a cat, so perhaps there are some variations among ducks?

I think the point is just illustrative of where we COULD be. Not below the level of thought, but ABOVE the level of thought.

When your mind is in control, you are not truly free. If you don't believe me, try shutting off your mind. It will fight you.

I think the point is just illustrative of where we COULD be. Not below the level of thought, but ABOVE the level of thought.

When your mind is in control, you are not truly free. If you don't believe me, try shutting off your mind. It will fight you.

well said.

the power of compulsive thought. the mind is a tool...but most of the time it uses us.

i've always thought of it as behind the thought. there's something else there...the awareness that observes the thought. seems to be a great source of pain...the separateness it causes within you.

thanks for you insight Zen.

Archived