How do you feel about adoption?

Tory Barton

Should I ever decide I want kids, I want to adopt them.

When people hear this, most people say I'm retarded and many seem to feel that only infertile people should adopt.

I would rather adopt a child than give birth to one for the following reasons:

1.) I think we already have enough people on this planet.

2.) I really don't want to bring a child into a society that is so corrupted.

3.) I want to give someone who couldn't help being brought into the world another chance.

4.) I can't imagine why I would love an adopted child any less than one I gave birth to.

I just want to know how other people feel about adopting, especially guys (I'm scared I'll never find anyone who feels the same way I do about it).

I believe that is one of most compassionate and loving things you can do for a child. There are so many children that need loving homes and not enough people that want to adopt them.

yep, well said.

i think i'd be more interested in having my own children...so i can understand the perspective that way...but i can't imagine being opposed to adoption. is there really a difference? only in our heads. an adopted child is still your child...regardless of where he/she came from. you still have the opportunity to be a parent in exactly the same way.

I think those are great reasons. I don't want any kids of my own at this point, but if I decide that I want them in the future, I will look into adoption.

I also worry about how guys would think about something like that. Most seem to want their own and would only adopt if the woman was infertile. Even then, it seems like IVF is a more popular choice.

That's wonderful that you feel that way, except I find your "society is so corrupt" reason negative to the extreme and wonder how you would convey that view to a child of your own. I would have adopted if I could not have had a child of my own. The reason I preferred to have a biological child was so that I would have more genetic information and not have to go through the process with its risks of being given inaccurate information about the child as well as the risk of the biological parent changing her mind and fighting for custody.

I want kids of my own, and would never adopt. But that's me, and more realistically some age-old biological programming. There's nothing at all wrong with wanting to adopt.

The only thing I find puzzling about your post is #2 - an excessively negative outlook on society. Unless I was living in a corrupt third-world dictatorship, I'd think twice raising kids with a woman who had such a bleak view of life.

It seems like most guys would rather have their own kids and don't really care for adoption. Because of this, I'd probably only be able to adopt if I were single... and I'm not sure if I'd want to do that, as far as the child's well being goes.

My boyfriend says he'd never adopt, I guess that says something about our future together, lol.

Your paradigm is very solid and it's what I believe, but, even though the world is imperfect, you must adopt a more positive attitude about the goodness in the world. Childhood is about happiness and the silver lining in every situation; honestly, it's not about curuption or a depressive world view. This is why I'm not worried at my age about the children question. I guess I already have about 35 kids my sisters, mother, staff, teachers and I financially, educationally, emotionally, medically and lovingly take care off in an orphanage in Mexico.

Tory, I felt exactly the same as you posted in your OP... and I didn't have any from my body. I did get to raise children, though. So I feel like I had the best of both worlds, at least for a little bit. I still get the same cr*p every other parent gets!!! So if you don't want the cr*p don't become a parent, ever

I believe that is one of most compassionate and loving things you can do for a child. There are so many children that need loving homes and not enough people that want to adopt them.

I was going to say, Tory, your reasoning is very selfless. I don't want to compare children to animals but it's like adopting rather than getting a puppy from a puppy mill.

I'm all for adoption, as much as I consider my daughter as my own she's not my biological daughter so technically I have to adopt her which I would do it in a heartbeat (just have other legal issues to clear first).

Wow. It's inspiring and encouraging to know that there are such compassionate people in this world. It's almost like you've read my parent's mind.

I've honestly never thought of myself as compassionate. I mean, it's only logical (in my mind) to adopt a child instead of giving birth to one. Why give birth to another person when there's so many out there that need parents?

I don't think it's compassionate on my part because I'm not one of those people who cares about genetics. If I cared to have a child with my genes and adopted one instead, it would be a sacrifice that I'd be making for that child, and that would be compassionate. But the fact is, I really don't care, a human being is a human being. There's no sacrifice here, if anything, the idea of adopting a child is a lot more pleasant than the idea of giving birth to one.... Because of the lack of sacrifice on my part, I don't really think it's a compassionate act. That's just my opinion though

Adopt Meaning | Adopt in a Sentence...
Adopt Meaning | Adopt in a Sentence | Most common words in English #shorts

Archived