Therapist suggests medication after 15 min. visit?

c579j
SIGNS OF A TOXIC BOSS | THERAPIST R...
SIGNS OF A TOXIC BOSS | THERAPIST REACTS TO RAISSA KENGNE

I went to see a therapist to talk about ways to make positives changes regarding unhappiness with work, moving past a sexual harassment issue, buidling confidence mostly in my social skills at work. I didn't know she normally only administered medication and was not like a counselor type of service. After about 15 minutes, she said that I sounded a little depressed and maybe had social anxiety, and suggested medication.

This is my first experience with a therapist, was wondering what others thought about this. Is it normal to so easily give out medication?

And how does medication actually make you feel? I don't feel like I have any severe type of problems (I'm able to go to work, and have good friends, go out and do little things here and there), but I am just a more shy type of person, and sometimes feel lonely and feel like I have trouble making friends easily with every job I've had. I'm finding it to be a pattern of thoughts and behavior.

I'd rather find natural, holistic ways and not resort to medication. But does anyone suggest medication (just in your experience)? And what are the side effects?

PS. I declined, and got referrals for a counselor-therapist. I'd rather talk it out and see what happens.

Talking it out sounds like the best way to go. I did that and then was referred to someone who would prescribe medication, but they talked to me for a long time and made me fill in lots of surveys and stuff like that before suggesting medication.

I think you did the right thing.

That is why I gave up on doctors. Every time I have been in the last few years, I've been prescribed all kinds of medicine, and antibiotics, when I am not big on drugs and things like that, often times they haven't been right either, and the medication hasn't worked.

If you don't want to take any medication, use the referrals but tell them you just want to talk about it, you don't NEED medication.

Even if you are taking medication for anxiety issues or anything similar, it goes HAND IN HAND with counselling, so I would suggest counselling for a couple weeks/months and if it isn't changing much, then you should resort to medication.

Money hungry. Ergh.

Edit: You know yourself better than ANY doctor. If situations are dire, and anxiety is really getting to you, you are unable to function normally, then medication is o.k. Have your own judgement, don't listen to every doctor. Hope I helped.

c579j: That sounds like a psychiatrist you went to. They generally book appointments for short durations, such as 15 minutes, and then write you a prescription. Generally, a person is referred to a psychiatrist after speaking with a counselor or psychologist if it's determined that medication would be helpful.

The reason psychiatrist visits are often short is because there's an underlying assumption that you're already seeing a licensed counselor or psychologist for the talk therapy you need.

Where I am, only doctors and psychiatrists are the ones that I know of who are prescribing medication.

And yes, I've met more than one who was willing and wanting to prescribe medication in a very short period of time. I walked....and kept looking for a doctor and psychiatrist more in line (and in my opinion, responsible!) with what I wanted as far as a treatment style.

When I finally found a psychiatrist and doctor who suited me, that psychiatrist took over a month to even finish DIAGNOSING me - never mind handing out meds. Once a proper diagnosis was made, then he offered up different treatment options. Medication was presented as an option: not a complete treatment.

Good luck with your new appointment. If talking is what you are looking for, a couselor-therapist should be more than happy to work with you on that.

I sympathize because I'm leery of ANYONE who figures it's ok to start prescribing medication without really getting to know my individual situation and well, ME.

that wasnt a therepist. you went to see a psychiatrist. there is a big difference. psychiatrists generally meet with you for only a few minutes and then start handing out prescriptions for medications. what you need to look for is the word psychologist on the business card. those are the ones that will talk it out with you. psychiatrists are medical doctors with psychological specialties. a psychologist is just a mental doctor that talks things out and cant prescribe meds.

i would recommend sticking to your guns and not taking any medications from someone that has only met with you for 15 mins. if and this is a big if, you need medication then a psychologist will get to know you for a while and decide whether they think medication will be beneficial, and if they do then most of them will have psychiatrists that they work with quite often and your psychologist can talk to the psychiatrist and tell them what is what with you. and then you will meet with the psychiatrist and get medication after about 15 mins. but you will have a psychologist working with you before and during the whole medication process and after if you get off the meds.

please do not take meds after a first time 15 min visit with anyone without having a recommendation from someone who knows you.

Archived