Hey everyone. I've decided I need to see a therapist. I've always had anxiety issues, but recent girlfriend problems have put me into a debilitating state of depression. I know I will need a psychiatrist, because I can't sleep and I'm sure I will need to get pills. But I would also like some talk therapy to get some of these issues off my chest. I've tried finding someone online and its not really working and I don't really know of any other methods. Anyone have any advice? Thanks.

You definitely should go through your insurance company, because they will have a list of all doctors in your area that take your insurance, and will be able to let you know if you can directly schedule an appointment with them or if you will first need to get a referral through your primary care provider.

Its a little bit of a hassle, but it is worth it. You might be able to find a psychiatrist who will do both medicine and therapy, or you might get medicine from your psychiatrist and then get a referral to a licensed clinical social worker or a clinical psychologist for therapy. Cognitive behavioral therapy + one of the newer antidepressants and possibly something extra for anxiety/sleep (like a benzodiazapine) can really work wonders for getting of out of really deep and dark depressions. Good luck!

Archived