I dated this girl for 2 years and we are both in love with each other. She wanted to get married and was pressuring me. She told me to take some time to think about it and if I still wanted her after I figured things out, she would be waiting. But one month later she said it was too hard, she was angry and she was moving on. I took an additional month and saw a counselor and figured my fear about marriage had nothing to do with her and I know I want to be with her. I went back to her to tell her I wanted to get married. She was reluctant at first and even though she told me she moved on, she started to open up. We started to spend alot of time together and started talking about having kids and buying a house. This lasted about a month and then it suddenly turned 180 degrees. She stopped calling as much and stopped spending time together. She said she was very angry at me and need to get over it on her own. This lasted another month and then she just told me she doesn’t want to get married to me. I know I screwed up taking the time but I needed to find the clarify that I have now. It was been about a month since I talked to her. In that month it was mine and hers birthday. I sent her a card and she wrote me an email wishing each other happy birthdays. I just recently found out that she is dating somebody for about a month now, who has professed his love for her already but doesn’t want to get married and have children and I know that she does.

Now for my question, we got a dog together about 10 months ago. 175 lb. english mastiff. We each already had a dog. The mastiff was always more hers than mine but when she said she could not marry me she told me to keep the mastiff. I didn't want to but I told her I would think about it. We have had NC for about a month and I now I am going to Venice, Italy for a week. I want to send her an email and ask her if she would want to watch the Mastiff while I am away. i know she would want to rather than me put him in a kennel. Should I break NC to ask her? She would also find out that I am going to Italy for a week which would show her that I am doing just fine without her.

What do you think?

I found it disturbing to read that she was pressuring you to get married and only waited a mere four weeks for you to make your decision before she shut you down. To me this sounds off.

If it was me I would make her watch the dog for the duration of the trip without disclosing details on why. Just tell her that you will drop him off for a week because you have business/pleasure to attend to. It's not of her business what you do with your time and it is her responsibility to take care of a mutual pet.

Have a good time on your trip

Casey, just to clarify a little more, she wanted to get engaged about 8 months earlier but I kept on putting her off, which was wrong in hindsight. So I understand a little more why she was only willing to wait 4 weeks. But she was in alot of pain and felt very rejected.

Starting Over In a Relationship - B...
Starting Over In a Relationship - Beginners Guide

Archived