Smelly Roommate situation

makeupgrl99

OK so I'm renting a room in a house. There is five of us that live in this house plus the landlord who has her own apt that she enters from the kitchen. My landlord has six dogs that stay at her own apt, the problem with that is they smell! Because her entrance is from the kitchen, every time we go to the kitchen it reeks of bad dog smell. I don't know how she lives in there and doesn't smell it. It's starting to really bug me, I can't go into the kitchen in the morning without gagging. Its especially bad on hot rainy days.

Besides this issue, I love living at this place, my roommates and I get along very well, I love my room, I just can't stand the smell in the kitchen, out of all the places it has to be the kitchen that reeks! I like to cook but every time I'm in there I start to gag. Doesn't help that I'm pretty sensitive to smells.

Is there any way to fix it? any suggestions? All my roommates hate it, we just have no idea how to fix it.

Thanks for the suggestions

These really work... however if the smell is intense it won't eliminate it but will dampen it ALOT! We use these in a veterinary office... we always feel better after burning one!!!

link removed

Do you think she will get offended if we start burning the candle in the kitchen??

Do you think she will get offended if we start burning the candle in the kitchen??

It doesn't matter if she feels offended, because it'll be good for her to wake up and realize how offensive she's being by having her apartment smell so much as to offend all of you! She's never going to realize on her own. She's probably used to the smell and doesn't realize it bothers anyone. Actually she has a nerve to stink out the place she's collecting rent from you for. You're paying her good money, so she owes it to you to provide you a reasonable environment. I don't think you should be worrying about sparing her feelings when she's so unaware as to have created an environment, paid for by you, where it makes you gag to go in the kitchen. That's really unreasonable. What does she expect?? Somebody should put her straight. Hope you do.

Offplanet

the landlord who has her own apt that she enters from the kitchen. My landlord has six dogs that stay at her own apt,

Is that even legal? That's a lot of dogs to own while living in an apartment.

I could see owning 6 dogs if she lived on a farm or something.... Her apartment must smell horrible and be filled with fur.

To help get the smell out of the kicthen, try to open windows whenever possible and make try on of those Glade "Wisp" contraptions that spray air freshener into the air periodically.

It doesn't matter if she feels offended, because it'll be good for her to wake up and realize how offensive she's being by having her apartment smell so much as to offend all of you! She's never going to realize on her own. She's probably used to the smell and doesn't realize it bothers anyone. Actually she has a nerve to stink out the place she's collecting rent from you for. You're paying her good money, so she owes it to you to provide you a reasonable environment. I don't think you should be worrying about sparing her feelings when she's so unaware as to have created an environment, paid for by you, where it makes you gag to go in the kitchen. That's really unreasonable. What does she expect?? Somebody should put her straight. Hope you do.

Offplanet

You have a very good point, thank you!

Archived