is he a rebound guy?

newsinglegal

Hello! I have been dating this guy for about 3months almost. We met back in May. I had been in a relationship for about 4 years and we had been off and off for the last year. We finally cut all ties in March/April. We still talked here and there but it was just not the same. I had been unhappy in the relationship for a long time but tried to make it work for the last year. I was ready to move on. I met the new guy not too long later, about a month or so.

Now my question is....is this considered a rebound? I was the one who cut off the last relationship. There was no serious crying or emptiness...I was done! The new guy fears he is a rebound to me...but I don't feel he is...am I in denial? Other people look at me and think I moved on too quickly. I think they think that because even though my last relationship was really rocky towards the end, I always pretended everything was fine...so they think it came out of no where, but in my mind...it was long over due....please help me feel better because I want to do the right thing and I want to reassure my new dating partner that he is not a rebound.

Thanks!

i can see myself with this guy for sure! he is awesome! its not to say i did not really love my ex....but it just did not work out...i am not in a relationship with this person. we just spend time together and enjoy eachothers company. i am not dating anyone else and he is not either...but it very easy going...i know i have to take it slow emotionally

A relationship can end officially on one day, but a lot of the time it's already dying before that point, and you start to emotionally detach. So you don't one day go from being superhappy and in love with your ex, to breaking up and dating again. Your ability to date again and presumably not feel guilt or unhappiness about it is a good sign.

It's possible this new guy won't work out anyway, but if you take it slowly and see how things go it can still develop into a proper relationship. There's no rule that says you can't leave something long-term and then meet the right person just weeks or months later and if he's not a long-term prospect after all, at least you know you can handle dating, and you're perfectly able to get back out there and meet people.

Archived