Weight loss during weight training..

I started working out with weights almost six weeks ago. My weight then was

133. I heavn't really been weighing myself because I know muscle weighs more than fat. So I weighed myself this morning and it said I am 129.That's four lbs in 5 weeks. lol. Anyway I'm not exactly a "big" person, so I am wondering if that's normal for someone my size? I know someone larger would have lost more in terms of pounds. Allso, since I am working out with weights, is it normal to start weighing LESS with more muscle?

Thanks!!!

of course when you weight train you may gain more muscle than fat.

this is why its best not to count on numbers when weight training.

when i was doing that i gained 11lbs and also lost an undetermined amount of fat.

you can lose 4lbs easy of just water weight on low carb low sodium diets.

the only way to be sure you are losing fat is to do a displacement test or something

Well there is some strange math to do in that situation, because while muscle does weigh more than fat, the more muscle you have the more fat you burn. It is possible that your increased amount of muscle has burned off enough fat to offset the gained muscle weight, or that you have simply lost more fat than you have muscle, or as people have insinuated above that you are overworking your muscles or not eating a good diet and your muscles are actually shrinking.

Also it really depends on what you mean by "weight lifting". If you are just lifting light weights, it may simply be more of a cardio workout. If you are maxing out or getting close to it and your muscles are really sore then you should be gaining muscle mass if you are getting proper rest and diet.

Well there is some strange math to do in that situation, because while muscle does weigh more than fat, the more muscle you have the more fat you burn. It is possible that your increased amount of muscle has burned off enough fat to offset the gained muscle weight, or that you have simply lost more fat than you have muscle, or as people have insinuated above that you are overworking your muscles or not eating a good diet and your muscles are actually shrinking.

Also it really depends on what you mean by "weight lifting". If you are just lifting light weights, it may simply be more of a cardio workout. If you are maxing out or getting close to it and your muscles are really sore then you should be gaining muscle mass if you are getting proper rest and diet.

Thanks Window..that makes total sense. I'm doing cardio and weights actually..my goal is something like this ..lean but still somewhat curvy:

link removed

Good job getting in shape. I doubt your muscles have shrunk since you started weight training; I'm sure you've built up some muscle mass and lost some fat.

I went on vacation a few weeks ago drinking beer with my friends out on the lake ever day for a week. I gained 2lbs & absolutely cannot lose it even though I've been running my ass off the last 2 weeks. It's bugging the crap out of me. I know it's not much. It still bugs me.

Don't drink too much, you'll gain it back!!

No problem.

But don't forget that everyone's body is different. If you feel too tired doing this other person's workout then you should adjust it as needed. I only say that because this person is A.probably extremely photoshopped in that photo and more importantly B. she looks like she would pass out from exhaustion easily because she has what looks like an unhealthy lack of body fat and must have to consume the perfect amount of calories in her diet just to stay awake and/or have a very strange body type/metabolism. If weight loss = energy loss then you are doing something wrong.

we cannot really say on a forum. i'd have to see like a before and after picture to see if you have muscle development (which i'm sure you do). you probably lost some unneeded fat in the process. it also depends on how hard you are lifting etc. you don't just gain extreme amounts of muscle because you lifted some weights. you have to really struggle on your last 2 reps to get that gain. sure, using your muscles will get them to tighten and make you look more lean.

how do you feel? your skin feel tighter like there is muscle under there?

I think that meal plan leaves something to be desired. Seriously, every meal is either a pill, oil, seed, tablet, powder, or... seriously, aloe vera gel?? The only real food I saw was a few ounces of chicken, asparagus and a salad. I think that meal plan will leave you feeling deprived, but no harm in trying it out I guess. Just don't feel like a failure if you can't keep it up; I don't think I could.

Haha. It says just above her pic that her diet is when she is "competition" mode and they don't recommend it to the average woman working out.I think she eats like that when she's really trying to "shred". And Ghost I doubt I'll ever look just like that, but it's the closest thing possible to my goal.

I found it to be most effective if you do weight lifting and cardio together. I did that the one summer with the help of a trainer and lost a lot of weight. Lifting weight alone is not going to help you loose weight, you will need to do some cardio to burn off some fat first before getting any muscles.

I found it to be most effective if you do weight lifting and cardio together. I did that the one summer with the help of a trainer and lost a lot of weight. Lifting weight alone is not going to help you loose weight, you will need to do some cardio to burn off some fat first before getting any muscles.

true. lift weights before doing cardio. but it's 75% diet.

It also depends on what kind of lifts your doing, im assuming your a girl, and many do not power lift doing heavy lifts with low reps (5x5). Those kinds of exercise build bulk, or in other words weight. High reps of low weight will tone muscles, give them shape and keep the weight and bulk down.

Cardio is also key.

It also depends on what kind of lifts your doing, im assuming your a girl, and many do not power lift doing heavy lifts with low reps (5x5). Those kinds of exercise build bulk, or in other words weight. Low reps of low weight will tone muscles, give them shape and keep the weight and bulk down.

Cardio is also key.

actually, more reps with less weight is best for toning.

Yeah...I do it all.. still with low weights though. And I have a problem with one of my knees so I don't use the machine for extension, I just use leg weights.I have to buy

the kind you can change weights on though. I do those twice one week, then once the next..is that good?

Archived